17

Christmas was here, the happiest time of the year to everyone that celebrates the holiday. Tyler and his mom helped prepare dinner for his family, who were going to arrive at any minute now. His mom prepared some turkey, and Tyler helped cut up some vegetables for them to eat.

Zack and his dad helped bring in another table to place beside the original one they had in their dining room. They needed more room for guests. Tyler's grandparents as well as some cousins of his were coming to celebrate Christmas together.

Once the table was set, Tyler looked back to admire the joyful atmosphere in the house. The Christmas tree was up and full of colors, and his mom had lit some fancy scent candles to add to the aroma of freshly baked cookies made by his dad. There was some snow outside, but not much. The presents were all under the Christmas tree waiting to be opened when the rest of the Joseph family arrived. There weren't much gifts because 'Santa' came this morning and a lot of the gifts were already opened. Everything was going just as they planned so far.

Soon enough, the doorbell rang and Tyler's grandparents came in with presents and other things in their hands. Because Tyler and Zack were busy, their siblings Jay and Madison, helped them take the presents and put them under the Christmas tree. 

They all hugged and exchanged some kisses on the cheek. "Hello Tyler!" Tyler's grandmother grabbed his face and planted a kiss on his cheek. She had done the same with everybody.

"Hey grandma." Tyler tried to say a little bit more excitedly, rubbing his cheeks from the pain. Even at an old age, his grandma was a strong woman. Then he got to his grandfather. He shook Tyler's hand and proceeded to hug him too. Tyler's grandparents, parents, and siblings now had to wait for their cousins.

The cousin's arrived just a few minutes later, with presents in their hands as well. The family repeated the process again of greeting each other with a two second hung.

They all sat down to eat dinner together. But before eating, they all said grace while holding hands. Every family member said a few words before they all said "Amen."

After a few bites, they started to talk to each other to catch up with each other's lives. Tyler hasn't seen his grandparents or cousins in weeks. It's been a while since they all talked and had a conversation with no interruptions

"How's school kids?" Tyler's grandmother asked after a conversation about the food they made and how delicious it all was.

"It's good." All the siblings said, and kept chewing on their food.

"Me and Tyler made the basketball team this year." Zack said excitedly.

"That's great! Just like your father." Their grandma smiled and so did their dad.

"Proud of you boys." Their dad smiled at them. Zack was the happiest person ever because he made the team. Tyler was used to it. He has been playing since a very early age. Sometimes he got tired of basketball.

"I'm in middle school now. People there are a whole other species though." Madison said.

"Just wait until high school." Tyler chuckled.

"Oh, honey you're getting so big!" Her grandma said pleased. "Just make sure you don't start dating until later." She joked then everyone else laughed. The whole family makes jokes about younger family members starting to date every once in a while. It's a family thing.

"Tyler is dating!" Jay pointed at Tyler, remembering that he started dating now.

"Jay!" Tyler looked at him disappointedly. Of course he had to open his mouth. But I guess it was forgivable, he was only seven years old. His grandparents were shocked at the news. They couldn't believe how time flies so fast. His parents already knew Tyler was with Jenna, but they had somewhat the same feeling. Time flies.

"For how long?" His grandparents asked.

"Three months." Tyler said quietly. He hoped to move on from this conversation.

"Well, as long as you're happy, I'm happy." Tyler's grandma said. Tyler just half smiled, knowing that what she just said is not true at all.

An example of this not being true was last year when he wanted to take a break from basketball. His family was not happy about this, especially knowing that he was taking a break to focus on music. His family told him that music would not get him anywhere in life, and he should keep focusing on basketball since he had a chance at a scholarship. This year, Tyler got the offer, but he wasn't sure if he wanted to take it or not.

Dinner was over, and the family started to clear the table to go open some presents. Tyler looked at the time. It was only 6:30pm.

"Do you mind if I leave for a few minutes?" Tyler asked his mom. "Me and some friends were going to meet up to exchange gifts."

"Sure, but hurry back." His mom smiled, and continued to give each person their gifts.

Zack overheard this, and he knew it wasn't true. They never agreed to exchange gifts. Zack knew Tyler was definitely up to something, and this wouldn't be the first time either. Tyler didn't fool him.

Zack would sometimes hear footsteps outside of the house in the middle of the night. When he looked out the window he would see Tyler outside walking away after jumping off the roof. Everyone else probably haven't  noticed this yet because they're heavy sleepers.

Tyler would also say things like he's in a "homework club", and he needed to go to a meeting to finish some work with friends when he thought he was alone with his mom. His mom would say yes believing each word that came out of his mouth because Tyler has never lied to her before. He would hurry outside without his backpack, leaving it inside his room. But he would take a pen and a small journal. Also, Zack would know he wasn't going to some homework club because he was in the same friend group as Tyler.

This time, Zack decided that he would try to find out what he was doing after all this time. He also wanted to make sure Tyler was safe and he wasn't about to become some drug dealer to ruin his basketball reputation.

"I'm exchanging gifts too. Can I go?" Zack asked his mom quietly after Tyler had already left a few minutes ago. He wanted to keep his distance and not follow him right away.

"Sure, just please hurry back with Tyler."

Zack walked out of the house after he grabbed a coat to keep himself warm. He followed some footprints Tyler had left in the snow and followed them. He soon noticed that he was walking in the same direction as he did every other time.

---|-/---

800 reads *dabs*

Thank you all so much!!

Stay alive |-/