41

Sorry I haven't been updating lately. I just feel like I have no energy anymore. I've been going through a tough time since my grandma passed away. But I guess that's just part of life. I'll get over it

---|-/---

As Debby already thought, the police could do nothing about what happened. It was too late, unlike her mother had told her. Chris was gone, so no charges could be pressed. Something about having the right to face your accuser prevented her from pressing any sort of charges. Also, what would she get by pressing charges on someone who is in fact dead? She thought nothing at all.

Debby's mom convinced her to go see the school councillor, Johnny. There was no female school councillor, which Debby preferred because girls seem to understand girls the best. But even so, she decided to give it a try. It took a few days to convince Debby to go see Johnny, because now she doesn't trust anybody anymore. Everyone has tried to reach out to her, but Debby told them that it was too late and ignored them. She also broke up with Josh, and hasn't talked to Jenna in days even though she's been trying her hardest to talk to her. She has missed school for the last two weeks, and teachers were blowing up her mom's phone wondering where she is, and what is the reason for her multiple absences.

Johnny didn't expect Debby to come to his office at all, but he kept this thought to himself as Debby walked in his office. She looked paler than when Johnny's seen her around the school before. Debby also looked like she hasn't eaten in a few days. She had no makeup on, unlike her usual flattering self. It looked like a completely different person had just walked in.

"Hello, Debby." Johnny stretched out his hand as if it were a business meeting. Debby, even though she didn't feel like it, shook his hand. "What brings you here?" Johnny sat back down on his comfortable leather chair.

Debby didn't want to speak. She felt as she already told everyone about what happened even though she has only told her parents and the police, and she has repeated the story over and over again. She hoped this would be the last time she had to explain herself.

It took a few moments for Debby to speak again, which Johnny understood. He has heard terrifying things that have happened to people during his career. He has talked to murderers in prison, thieves, psychopaths, anyone you can imagine. Johnny was patient with her, which Debby appreciated.

Debby explained the whole story, and managed not to cry uncontrollably this time. She didn't mention any names, just what happened to her. Debby didn't want anyone else to be blamed or get involved, even though she was no longer friends with those people. They hid everything from her, and Debby felt as if she would never forgive them.

"Did you go to the police?" Johnny asked.

"Y-yeah. But," This is what Debby forgot to mention. "The one who did it is dead. And according to the law, apparently, everyone has the right t-to face their accuser."

"It's true." Johnny nodded. "But there's other ways to get over it other than pressing charges."

"How?" Debby asked.

"Before that, do you want an apple? I have a few here." Johnny tried to get Debby to eat something. She has been holding onto her stomach ever since she sat down, and her mind seemed to wonder. "Green or red?"

"Uh," Debby hesitated. "Red." she said weakly, and Johnny pulled out a red apple from under his desk. "Thank you." Debby took the apple from his hands, and started munching on it as if it's the only piece of food she has seen in years. Johnny waited until she finished her apple.