Part 13: Always Knock

I exhaled as I looked up and gasped when my doctor put a huge needle in my hip. She smiled and slowly took it out before walking to the counter and put a cap on it.

I looked down at the floor and waited for her to leave. Monique stared at me then exhaled slowly sliding her hand in mine. I smiled and looked over to see my brother and mom.

"What the hell, Demarcus? You tell someone when something is wrong." He hugged me and I smiled.

"Sorry. I wanted you to have fun. How's my kids?" I watched as he smiled.

"They are very scared." Mom speaks, "What's happening? What did they say?"

I looked down sadness taking my bones. I just exhaled as Monique spoke wrapping her arm around my neck, "He might have type two diabetes. They say he went into shock. It's really bad and they didn't catch it early enough."

"Early enough. What does that mean?" Deandre asked looking at me.

"Um, what happened today was symptoms of kidney problems. They might have to put me on Dialysis and on the list for a new kidney."

"Stop." He whispered shaking his head. I covered my face as mom began to cry.

"That stuff can kill you." She spoke and hugged me tightly.

I closed my eyes hugging her back tighter. She cries harder and for awhile I'm holding my mom in my hands. I never seen her cry so hard, not even when my dad died. So this was scary to watch honestly.

"Good afternoon." My doctor says walking in. I sat up from laying on the bed and smiled, "So Demarcus... You don't need dyalsis you just need to change your diet and start insulin and diabetes pills. The shot will be sent to you just keep it in a cold place and take after a meal."

"How many?" I ask.

"A shot every day." She says, "Same place every day at around the same time."

"Okay." I smiled.

"I'll prescribe that to you then I will recommend getting in touch with a doctor to make sure that that's all you really need." He says.

I nod and he smiled leaving the room. I get dressed and we all left. I smiled when Nadia ran to me from sitting with Briane. I lifted her and then lifted Dakota a smile on my face as I kissed them on the cheeks.

"Are you okay, Daddy?" Nadia asked looking at me laying her head on my shoulder.

"Yeah, just a little sick." I smiled and put them down lifting Dakota who was starring at me and crying loudly.

She went quiet and I laughed playing with her as we walked out. Briane stared at me and smiled widely taking Deandre's hand. I hugged her and looked down at the ground.

"So you are dropping the kids off at five?" I questioned making sure.

"You sure?" She asked.

"Yeah, can't miss the honeymoon. Plus. I ruined the freaking wedding." I laughed.

"No you didn't." She shook her head and laughed.

"Yeah, I kind of did. Anyways. Just drop them off at five." I speak and kissed her forehead before turning to the car.

Monique buckled in the kids and we were off. I sat back and held her hand as she waited for the red light. Once getting home I took out the kids, whom was already asleep then walked upstairs. I put them to bed in their separate rooms then walked to my own. I was exhausted.

"Love you." I whispered when Monique climbed on my waist.

She smiled and kissed me, "I love you too."