CHAPTER SIX

"Men are protectors and maintainers of women , because Allah has made one of them to excel another, and because they spend from their means.therefore the righteous woman are devoutly obedient, and guard in the husbands absence what allah orders them to guard.as to those woman on whose part you see ill conduct, admonish them first, next refuse to share there beds and last beat them lightly if it is useful, but if they return to obedience seek not against them means. surely , allah is ever most high, most great "

                       -surah 4.an nisa /part

                          5 , verse 34. quran.

            Almighty Allah made men stronger than woman so that they could protect them and to provide them there needs, not to misuse there strength against woman, woman are not meant to be beaten but to be loved and cared for, the strongest punishment when needed is the permission to beat lightly ( this means to be beaten with a meswak) meswak is the sunnah way of cleaning your mouth- its a tiny branch from a specific tree , in this case in islam the permission to beat a woman when very much needed would be like beating with a feather i.e. meswak is so light  , this is the status of woman in islam , we are held so high.

   Back to Sarahs story now....

           I paced the floor nervously fidgetting with my bracelet , it was going to be 7.30 p.m, Ahmed could arrive at any moment now , I was very very worried of making him angry but there was no way in the world I was going to put that dress on , I know we are supposed to obey our husbands but when we are forced to do something against our islam , Allah has given us the permission to go against them.

          So I know that I'm not going against my husband without any reason , around seven fourty-five  PM.  Ahmed arrived  and came to my room , I had left the door open . He came inside and not seeing me  ready gave me a very icy glare coz of which I stepped back a little .

"Why are you not dressed yet? "Ahmed inquired

" I cannot wear the dress you've given me it is very immodest."

"So do you expect me to take you along in this antique collection of yours?" he asked me waving his hand at the coat and hijab I'm wearing.

"listen , my collegues have held a party for us and I can't take u like this ., you have no other option but to wear the dress I have given you" he smirked

"There is no way in the world that I'm going to wear that dress"

"WEAR IT!"

"NO"

"This is the last time im telling you, WEAR IT!!!  he bellowed .

"No" I said again

........SLAP....... He hit me directly on my face , I  backed down a little , then he punched me right on my eye, as the pain over came me I heard a faint thud indicating that he had left,

the pain was agonizing i ran to the fridge for some ice but there was none , I wet a piece of cloth with some chilled water and nursed my eye... I could'nt cry coz I did'nt understand in which way I was hurt more whether emotionally or physically, this was the first blow of my life , I leaned against my room's door and cried my heart out , the disgrace I felt was nothing compared to the pain in my eye , all the happy memories with my parents came to me, their  pampering, my past years came tumbling in my thoughts as I lay on my bed crying my heart out...

              ****************