Chapter Two

After I went to the bathroom I stayed in there for the rest of the period. The bell rang and I walked to my sixth period class, music. I sat in the back as usual. I used to love music before mom was sent to the hospital, but since she left I lost interest in almost everything. The boy from before walked in and sat next to me. I mentally groaned. Why did he have to be in this class? I ignored him and zoned out as usual "Hey, are you okay, you zoned out for a while?" he asked looking at me. I blinked and looked over at him.

"Yeah, just tired." this wasn't a lie, I was feeling exhausted. He nodded and turned back to the board where my very pregnant teacher was explaining a new song we had to sing. She was flailing her arms enthusiastically. The teacher looked at the clock and gasped.

"We better get a move on," she said. She put a stack of papers on a boys desk in the front row. "Hand these out." she told him and he grudgingly got up and started to hand a sheet to everyone. "We are doing a project where you will be paired up with someone in this class. I will be picking the partners." everyone groaned and she shushed the class. "You will write a song and preform it for the class. You can both sing, or someone can play and instrument. It doesn't need and instrument, it can be a Capella. Got it, good." she said. "Partner's will be," she went through the list and I zoned out until I heard my name, "Vie and Jasper." she said continuing on with the list. I asked myself racking my brain for who the name belonged to. I would find out soon enough.

"I guess we're partners," I heard a boy say. I looked up and saw it was a blonde haired boy with blue eyes. I gave him a half smile and he sat down in the empty desk next to me. "What kind of song do you want to do? Any ideas?" he asked.

"Do you know how to play an instrument?" I asked.

"Yeah,the guitar do you?"

"No, I guess you can play your guitar and I can sing. " I said.

"Yeah, do you want to hang out today and work on it. You can come over after school?"

"I can't today," I said. I have to visit mom in the hospital. She has chemo scheduled. "I'm busy until seven today. And everyday actually." I said quietly.

"Do you work?" he asked.

"Something like that." I said looking down at the sheet.

"I'm busy Sunday. Maybe Saturday?" he asked.

"Maybe, I have to see if I can." the bell rang and I got up and gathered my things.

"See you tomorrow." Jasper said. I waved and walked out to my next class. The rest of the day went normally. I walked out of the school's double doors silently. There was so much chaos going on around me. It was only Thursday, I don't know why everyone is so excited. I started walking to the bus stop when someone called my name. I turned and saw Jasper.

"Hey," I said waving.

"Hey, need a ride?" he asked. I shook my head, I didn't want him to know I was going to the hospital.

"I'm okay." I said smiling.

"You sure? It's no trouble." he said.

"I'm sure." I turned and started walking again.

"Then I'll walk with you exercise is good." he said walking next to me. I stopped and turned to him.

"What do you want?"

"Nothing, there have been a lot of kidnappings happening lately." he said.

"So your not going to leave me alone?" I asked.

"Nope," he said smiling.

I rolled my eyes, "Fine you can give me a ride." he smiled even bigger and led me to his car. I couldn't have him drop me off anywhere else because there wasn't anything near the hospital and I didn't have time to lead him somewhere else to walk. Mom's chemo started in ten minutes. When I got to his car I saw there were two boys in it. One in the driver's seat and one it the back seat. Jasper opened the door for me and I saw it was the boy who had heard me sing. I sighed quietly to myself and got in. he opened the front seat and got in himself.

"Vie, this is my twin brother George," he said gesturing to the boy that was driving. He had blue eyes like Jasper, but brown hair. "And this is Leo," he said gesturing to the boy sitting next to me. I smiled slightly feeling out of place.

"Where to?" George asked.

"The hospital closest to here." I said waiting for the barrage of questions that were coming.

"Why are you going there?" Leo asked, but not harshly.

"I volunteer there." I lied smoothly. George nodded and started to drive. When the car pulled up to the hospital I almost jumped out of the car. "Thank you for the ride, see you tomorrow." I said quickly as I started to run to mom's room. I got there and saw mom sitting up in her bed looking very weak. "Hey mom," I said quietly.

"Hey Vie," she said. She looked exhausted and her smile thin and strained. Her usually thick brown hair was thinning thanks to the chemo.

"How are you feeling?" I asked knowing the answer I was going to get.

"Better," she lied. This was the tradition I would come in and ask how she was and she would lie and tell me she was better. No one can ever understand how hard it was watching someone you love deteriorating in front of them and not being able to do anything about it.

"When does your chemo start?" I asked sitting in one of the chairs by her bed.

"Soon, but like last time you cannot come in, I don't want you to see me like that." I sighed, knowing I can't fight her on this. I nodded and we talked about school, which I lied about, saying it was fine.

"Oh, I wanted to ask you if it was alright if I could go to someone's house on Saturday to work on a project." I asked.

"Of course you can, what's the project for?"

"Music we have to write a song."

"When is it due?"

"I'm actually not sure." I said. The doctor came in and asked if mom was ready for chemo. I could see the look in mom's eyes, she wasn't.