Chapter Twenty One

I looked into the mirror, bracing myself for day two of school. Looking back at me was a girl who looked sad, but not quite depressed, skinny, but not quite starving, pretty, but not quite beautiful, and of course she was in a wheelchair. That was me, the in between who never really belongs. I close my eyes and wheel myself out of my room. I doubt today will be quick and painless. I also have physical therapy later today. The doctors seem hopeful, but I obviously am not. Jasper greets me in the living room and wheels me out of the house. Once at school I see all their faces, judging. Jasper brought me to his locker early. He bent down so his face was level with mine.

"You are stronger than anyone knows. Don't let them bring you down." He pecks me lightly on the lips as the bell rings. He gathers my book, putting them on my lap, and then gathers his. He brings me to Homeroom and bends down again. "I love you."

"I love you too." I smile and kiss him lightly. He leaves just as other people begin to pile in. Seth smiled, sitting next to me.

"Where were you yesterday? I was all alone." I felt a pang of guilt for leaving him alone.

"Sorry, I wasn't feeling well."

"Jasper stayed with you?"

"Yeah, he did." The teacher stood up from her desk and began teaching. Everyone seemed to zone out, but she still kept teaching, completely oblivious. When the bell rang Jasper came to pick me up. The rest of the day went the same until we were in music class. There was a substitute teacher. Our regular teacher left for maternity leave.

"As you know the song will be due when your regular teacher comes back, as she would like to hear what you come up with. Work with your partners for the rest of the period." He says, sitting behind his desk. Japer and Leo sat next to me.

"How was your day, Vie?" Leo asked me.

"It was better than Monday."

"See, their surprise wore off, now they will leave you alone." Jasper said.

"I'm happy about that."

"You have therapy today."

"I do." I say quietly.

"Do you want me to go or...?" He says trailing off,

"No, I just need a ride."

"Okay," Jasper said. The rest of the period was spent on talking, rather than the project. When the bell rang Japer brought me to his car. He drove right to the hospital.

"Vie!" Sasha said wrapping her arms around me.

"Hi Sasha!"

"I haven't seen you, how are you?"

"I'm okay, better than I was."

"That's great, I have to get back to work, but it was so good to see you!" I smiled, and it felt good.

After physical therapy I was sore and tired. When Jasper came to pick me up, he had a questioning look in his eyes.

"I just want to go home." He nodded, but didn't say anything. When we got home I went right to bed. I was too tired to even eat. I closed my eyes and slipped into a deep sleep.

•••

Comment what you think of this chapter! Don't forget to vote an check out my other stories also! I posted a new story called Just a Little Bit Suicidal. It is about a group of assassins. If you could check it out and tell me what you think it would help me out a lot!

-Ally