Chapter Nineteen

We got to Jasper's car and we stopped turning to Seth.

"Would you like a ride home?" Leo asked.

"Yeah, sure." He smiled and we all piled into the car. Seth sat up front with Jasper and Leo sat in the back with me.

"So, where do you live?" When Seth told Leo where he lived, Jasper clenched his jaw.

"Looks like I have a new neighbor." He said through clenched teeth.

"Really?"

"Actually, I'm living with Leo at the moment though." Seth nodded, but pressed no further questions. "Have you met your neighbors yet?" Seth shook his head and Jasper grinned. "You'll know why I'm not living there soon enough."

"So, how do you like it here?" Leo asked, trying to salvage this car ride.

"It's better than where I lived last. I move around a lot, my mother just never seems to be happy."

"Well I hope you stay here awhile." Leo said.

There was silence before Seth whispered, "Me too." Jasper pulled up to his house, and I couldn't help but notice the glare he threw at his house.

"Bye Seth."

"See you tomorrow." Once the car door closed Leo turned to me.

"You actually spoke to him, and was kind?" I rolled my eyes.

"Yes, he looked just as awkward as me, so I decided to help him." The car pulled away from the curb and started to drive to Leo's house.

"Did anyone else try to talk to him?"

"No, when they saw he was talking to me, they left us alone. I feel guilty because of his ignorance about who to talk to, he will never be part of the popular crowd."

"Did you ever think, just maybe he was smarter than everyone else? And he knew exactly who to talk to?" Jasper spoke and I fell silent.

When we pulled up to Leo's house Jasper helped me into my wheel chair. He wheeled me inside and Lizzy was waiting at the front door.

"How was school?"

"It was fine," I said swatting Jasper's hands away and wheeling myself to the downstairs guest room that they had moved me to when I got home from the hospital. I closed the door and leaned my head back against my wheelchair. A felt a tear fall down my cheek. I didn't bother wiping it away.

After about half an hour I wheeled myself out of the room and into he family room where Jasper, Leo, and Lizzy are sitting. "Can one of you drive me to the hospital?" Jasper got up and grabbed his keys. He wheeled me outside and helped me into his car. It was silent before Jasper broke it.

"Don't shut us out Vie. Please, don't shut me out." I looked over and saw he was looking at me with pure sadness.

"I'm scared. I'm scared my mother is going to die, my father is going to kill me, and I'm going to bring the rest of you down with me."

"You won't bring us down, your mother is strong, and I won't let anyone hurt you."

"I love you Jasper."he smiles.

"I love you too Vie." We pulled into the parking lot and Jasper helped me get back into my wheelchair. He pushed me into the hospital and stopped just outside my mother's room.

"Can you come in with me?" I ask quietly. I'm scared to face her alone. I'm scared of what I will see. He wheels me in silently and I gasp at my mother. She is so sick, she has an oxygen tank hooked up to her and she has dark bags under her eyes.

"Vie," she says. "Please don't come in here, not know. I don't want you to see me like this." She says with as much force she can muster. Tears are flowing down my cheeks, but I can only stare with my mouth half open. "Jasper, get her out of here, please." She says. Without another word I feel myself being wheeled out if the room. When we are outside the hospital Jasper stops. He bends down and looks me in the eye, but I still stay shocked, staring at nothing.

"Vie, Vie say something."

"What do you want me to say?" I ask my voice void of emotion. He sighs, but at the sound of my voice only seems more worried. He gets me into his car. I stare out the window, I feel his eyes on me, but I don't say anything.

When we get home he wheels me inside. "I'm going to bed." He wheels me into my room without another word. I feel numb, absolutely numb. I don't feel anything. He helps me into bed and leaves, closing the door behind him. I close my eyes, but only see her face. The face of my dying mother. Sobs wrack my body, but I smother them into my pillow. Finally, when I have no more tears I fall into a deep sleep.

•••

So sad! Comment, vote, and don't forget to check out my other stories!

-Ally