Chapter Six

We arrived sat his house a few minutes later. I looked up and saw it was a mansion. It was huge it was white and had perfect landscaping and three perfect cars parked in the driveway, not including Jasper's car. I opened the door and got out of the car still looking at his house.
"It's not that great." he said.
"Then you don't have any idea what bad is." I said. I followed him to the frond door and he stepped in and I followed him. The interior was even better then the outside. The foyer was huge with vaulted ceilings and marble floors. There was a huge staircase leading to the upstairs.
"Jasper?" I heard a women call. Jasper groaned and I looked over at him.
"I thought you were going to be out Dana." he said trying to keep his voice even, but I heard the anger behind them.
"I was going shopping, but Stacy couldn't make it." she said from the other room. When she walked into the room I saw a women who couldn't be much older then Jasper and I with brown hair and way too much makeup on. She had a very short black dress on with black heels. "Hello, who is this?" she asked.
"This is Vie," he said.
"Hi, I am Dana, Jasper's mother." she said extending her hand. I reached out to grab it when Jasper said.
"You are not my mother." he said it quietly, but if looks could kill Dana would be dead.
"Jasper! How could you say a thing like that?" she said looking appalled.
"How could you say your my mother?" he asked looking just as appalled. "Come on Vie, let's go upstairs." he grabbed my arm and pulled me up the stairs. When we got to his room I was surprised to find it much less extravagant then the rest of the house. He had dark blue walls and white sheets. It looked like every other teenage boy's room. I sat in his desk chair and we stayed quiet for several minutes. "Aren't you going to ask?"
"I'm not going to a hypocrite, I won't tell you my story, so why would you tell me yours." I said simply.
"Thank you." he said. The front door opened and footsteps came up the stairs. Jasper's door opened and Leo walked in.
"Sorry I'm late." he said plopping himself down on the bed next to Jasper. Jasper nodded and Leo turned to look at me. "Hey Vie," he said.
"We should get started on the song." Jasper said. He pulled out a notebook that was ironically laying next to an expensive computer. "What genera do you want the song to be?" he asked.
"Vie, what about the song you were singing, maybe we can make it like that. Who was that by anyway, so I can look it up and we can listen to it." Leo said. I pursed my lips and closed my eyes.
"What's wrong?" Jasper asked. Before I had to answer Jasper's door opened. Standing there was a boy who looked about a year older then Jasper and looked like Jasper, but had blonde hair and green eyes.
"Oh sorry, I didn't realize you had company." he said starting to close the door.
"It's fine Lee, what did you want?" Jasper asked.
"I was just going to ask what you said to Dana, she seems pretty upset." Lee asked.
"Is dad home?"
"Yeah, he's in the kitchen with Dana."
"That's why she's upset. She's just acting." he growled.
"Yeah, it is. What did you say?"
"I told her she wasn't my mom when she introduced herself as my mom to Vie." he said gesturing to me.
"Jasper, I know you don't like her, but you need to at least give her a chance." Lee said sighing.
"I did," Jasper said flatly. Lee shook his head then turned to me.
"Nice to meet you, I'm Leroy, but you can call me Lee. I'm Jasper's brother." I smiled.
"I'm Vie, it's nice to meet you." I said.
"I'm going to go downstairs and try to calm down the situation. If dad knows what you said you are in big trouble."
"Dana already told him, I bet you." he said. Lee sighed and shook his head.
"Bye Leo, it was nice meeting you Vie." he said before closing the door.
"Dude, maybe we should leave. When your dad is here-" he was cut off by Jasper.
"I would like you to stay, it is better when there's people around. Last time I said something like this to Dana we got in a fight that was so loud someone called the cops. Do you mind staying Vie?" he asked turning to me. His eyes were tired, and scared. I don't know why, but the idea of leaving him to fend on his own made me feel guilty. I shook my head.
"I don't mind."
"You say that know." Jasper muttered. There came yelling and a crash from downstairs. Then more yelling.
"It's true dad, you always side with her!" I heard Lee yell.
"It is not true!" I heard another man yell. "You always gang up on her!"
I heard Lee laugh. "You know what dad, whatever good image this family had is gone now. First you cheat on your wife with someone half your age, then your wife leaves and you marry her two months after she leaves and people called the cops on us dad."
"I did not cheat on Cynthia!" he yelled. "I moved on after she left!"
"In two months dad? You met someone and fell in love in two months?"
"I did, it's called true love. Something your mother and I never had!"
"So your true love is a gold digging-!" Lee was cut off by a loud bang. I gasped quietly and Jasper closed his eyes.
"How dare you say that about your mother!"
"Jasper's right, she is not my mother!" he yelled.
"She is and you better treat her with respect!" I heard heavy footsteps up the stairs and Jasper's door slammed open. "How dare you speak to your mother like that!" he yelled not caring he had company. "You better apologize!" he yelled.
"No dad, I am not going to!" Jasper yelled getting up off the bed. I imagine I looked terrified, but there was a huge intimidating man yelling in front of me. He wasn't yelling at me, but it was enough to have me quaking in my boots. Leo go up and sat on the chair next to me with his arm around my shoulders trying to calm me down.
"You better apologize to her or so help me I will-"
"What will you do dad? We have company, what can you do to dirty our image more?" he yelled. For the first time Jasper's dad looked over at us. He straightened his posture making Jasper snort.
"I'm sorry for my son's behavior, I think it is time for the two of you to leave."
"Why do you want them to leave dad? So you can hit me, so you can beat me?"
"Be quiet Jasper!" his dad yelled. "You two, get out of my house!" he yelled. Leo grabbed my hand and started to pull me out of the house.
"Then I'm leaving too dad.!" Jasper yelled starting to walk out.
"No you don't!" he yelled.
"I am, you are not the boss of me!"
"What are you going to say that I'm not your father?"
"No sadly you are, but I wish you weren't." he turned and walked out following Leo and I. Leo led me out of the house and turned to Jasper.
"You okay?" he asked.
"Yes Leo, I am just amazing." he said sarcastically running a hand down his face. "I'm sorry you had to see that Vie." he said.
"It's okay, it's not your fault" I said quietly.
"Do you need a place to stay?" Leo asked Jasper.
"Yeah, if your mom doesn't mind."
"Does she ever mind?" Leo asked smiling. "She loves you."
"At least someone does." he muttered.
"Vie you can come to, and work on the song." I nodded and we all got into Jasper's car. Right before we pulled out of the driveway Lee walked out of the house. Jasper rolled the window down to talk to him.
"We never learn do we?" he asked.
"No," Jasper replied shaking his head.
"Can I have a ride to Kyle's house?"
"Why don't you take your car?"
"I'm out of gas." he said.
"Okay, hop in the back with Vie." he nodded and slid in the car next to me. "Did you call George or Ron?" he asked.
"Not yet, did you?"
"No, I'll do it now so we can both talk to them. Should we call Vince?
"No, he doesn't come home anyway." Jasper said.
"Do you mind?' he said asking Leo and I. I shook my head and so did Leo. He pulled his phone out of his pocket and passed it to Lee. Lee dialed the number and put it on speaker.
"Hello?" someone on the other end said.
"Hey Ron, it's Lee and Jasper is driving. I am just warning you not to go home, we just had a big fight with dad." there was a pause on the other end with only the sound of his breathing.
"How big?" he asked finally.
"Well let's just say it was worse then last time when people called the cops. And we had company."
"Was it Leo, cause he doesn't care if Leo knows how horrible we are."
"Yeah, he doesn't care, I have seen so may fights." Leo said.
"It was Leo and someone else dad's never met before.
"Who?" he asked.
"It's one of my friends from class. She came over to work on a project."
There was another pause before Ron spoke again, "Dad started fighting in front of a girl he never met before?"
"Yeah, she's in the car now," Jasper said.
"I'm sorry you had to hear that, the fights can get pretty ugly." he said.
"It's okay, it's not like it's your fault." I said.
"Well sometimes it is. I'm Ron, by the way."
"I'm Vie," I said.
"Ah, sa la vie," he said in a terrible French accent.
"My name is actually Vie as in v-i-e" I said.
"Really, that's an awesome name and I'm stuck with boring Ron. Well I have to go my break is almost over I have to go back to clearing tables. Bye everybody." he said before hanging up
"That's really cool, your name." Lee said. I smiled and he dialed anther number, George's.
"What do you want Jasper?" George said when he picked up.
"What a nice way to great your brother. There are other people in the car and you are on speaker, so be careful what you say." Jasper said.
"Who's in the car?" he asked.
"Vie and Leo." Lee answered.
"hi Leo, Vie, and Lee." George said. "Why did you call?"
"Dad had another fight, so I wouldn't go home." George sighed on the other end.
"was it was bad as the last one?" he asked.
"Worse and he fought in front of Vie and Leo." George sighed again and you heard yelling in the background.
"Can I call you back later? I have to get back to practice." he said.
"Yeah, bye George," Lee said he hung up and handed the phone back to Jasper. The car was pretty silent after that. About five minutes later Jasper pulled up to a house with gray shingles and dying grass. "Alright this is my stop. I'll see you tomorrow Jasper, I wouldn't go home if I were you." Lee said.
"don't worry, I'm debating whether or not I am actually going back at all." Jasper muttered.
"I know, well bye everyone." he said as he got out of the car. Once he left the tension in the air was so thick you could cut it with a knife.
Leo cleared his throat and then spoke, "We still haven't thought of what genre to do for the song? What was that song you were singing called?" I closed my eyes and looked down at my lap.
I cleared my throat to try to get the lump out of my throat, "Uh, my mother wrote it, she sang it to me when I was a baby." I said looking down. The thought of my mother sick and alone in the hospital room was too much for me. She was wasting away all alone while I was out having fun, well I wasn't really having fun. It's a good thing my face was hidden by my hair because the first tear fell and I wasn't able to stop it. "What time is it?" I asked still looking down.
"About two, why?" Leo asked.
"I forgot, I have a shift at the hospital at two." I said looking at Jasper. Jasper half turned his head from the front seat to look at me out of the corner of his eye. I was afraid he was going to tell Leo that I was lying.
"Alright, well we can meet tomorrow then, right?" Leo asked.
"Yeah, you can call me later or tomorrow." when we pulled up to the hospital I opened the door to get out.
"I'll come in, I want to see if I can find Vince." Jasper said. He got out and walked to the door with me. When we reached the door he turned to look at me.
"Why didn't you tell him?" I asked quietly.
"You didn't even want me to know, why would I tell Leo." Jasper said.
"Thank you." I whispered. I closed my eyes and sighed. "Do you want to meet my mom?"