Chapter Five

My alarm clock beeped making me get up. I went over to turn it off, but realized it was my phone. "Hello?" I said my voice still heavy with sleep.

"Hello," I heard Jasper say. I could tell he was smiling at how sleepy I sounded.

"What do you want." let's just say I'm not a morning person.

"Good morning sunshine." he muttered. "Do you want to come over today?"he asked.

"Sure what time?" I asked rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"One thirty?" he asked.

"Why so late?"

"It's twelve thirty," he said laughing.

"Oh, then yes, I'll be there at one thirty."

"Do you want me to pick you up?" he asked.

"If it's not too much trouble."

"No, not at all. I'll see you at one thirty." I said bye and hung up. I sighed and got dressed, I will visit mom after. I got ready and walked outside my house. I couldn't wait inside my neighbor's house, so I waited outside on the curb. Jasper's car pulled up I front of me and I got up and walked over to it.

"Come, in little girl I have candy." he joked as I got in.

"Just drive." I said laughing.

"You know I've never heard that before." he said after a second of silence.

"What?" I asked looking at him.

"Your laugh, I've never heard it before. I've never seen you happy actually. I've seen you smile, but it wasn't real. It never reached your eyes." he said seriously.

"I guess I just have no reason to be happy." I said after an agonizingly long period of silence. He didn't say anything, for that I was grateful and just kept driving. He pulled in to one of the richer neighborhoods and I looked around at the huge houses. "You live here?" I asked.

"Yeah, why did you expect someone who lived here to be more snobby and rich?" he said smiling. I was jealous of how happy he looked.

"Vie, I know I haven't known you for long, but I am here to talk if you need."

"I know," I said, but I knew I wouldn't talk to him, and so did he.

"I just don't understand you, you know that." he said sighing. "I don't know anything about you."

"You never asked." I pointed out.

"Well, then can I ask you?"

"I guess." I said shrugging my shoulders. "Why don't we just play twenty questions while we're at it." I say sarcastically.

"Okay," he said as he pulled over. He turned to me in his seat. "Why did you lie about where you lived?" my head snapped up and looked at him. His face showed nothing, but sincerity.

"How did you know?" I asked realizing there was no use in lying.

"It is the oldest trick in the book, and anyway I saw you sneak through the backyard." he said softly. We sat in silence for a while. "Are you mad?"

"No," I said simply. I wasn't mad, just confused. I trusted him, I didn't want to, but I did.

"Well,why did you lie?" he asked again.

"I didn't want you to see where I lived. My house is run down and I didn't want you to see that."

"Vie, I don't care how much money you have."

"My turn," I say trying to get the spotlight off me. "Why do you want you want to be my friend?"

"Well, I like you. I don't know why, but I do. You have an amazing personality, you don't always show it, but you do. And you give off this sense of mystery almost."

"Once you find out my secrets will you leave me?" I said, only half joking.

"No," he said seriously. "I'm not that kind of person. My turn I guess. What is stopping you from being happy?" I closed my eyes.

"Do I have to answer this one?"

"Your the one who wanted to play."

"Is family issues a good enough answer?" I said my eyes still closed. He sighed.

"Not really. Your turn."

"What is making you so happy?" I asked opening my eyes.

"I don't know. Does there have to be a reason? Sometimes I have to force myself to be happy."

"Doesn't everyone," I muttered.

"Everyone has problems Vie. Life isn't that easy for anyone." he said getting a little angry.

"Do we have to play this game?" I ask.

"Yeah, Vie, I think we do. I want to know what's wrong, I want to help you." he said exasperated.

"Why does everyone want to help me? I'm not some broken little girl!" I yelled.

"Yes you are Vie!" he yelled back. He sighed. "I'm sorry Vie, I didn't meant that." I nodded, still too upset to speak. "It's your turn." he said quietly.

"What is stopping you from being happy?" I asked him.

"Family issues, just like you. My mom left a few months ago." he said. I looked up and saw his face was void of all emotion, but his eyes betrayed him. They were sad and angry. "My turn. Why do you go to the hospital so much?" he asked.

"I told you, I volunteer there." I answer.

"No you don't." he said shaking your head. "My brother works there. He works with all the volunteers our age. You don't volunteer there."

"Well don't you just know all my secrets." I say after a second.

"I obviously don't. Why do you go there" he said.

"Visiting someone." I mumble. "My turn." I say trying to avoid the question. "Why do you care?" I ask.

"About what."

"About me." I say looking at him.

"I don't know, I just feel you don't have enough people who do." I looked down to my lap and closed my eyes.

"Your turn." I whisper, knowing what he was going to ask.

"Who is in the hospital?" he asks. I don't answer for a second.

"Someone I care about."

"Why won't you tell me?" he asks quietly.

"I don't need your pity, and I don't need you to 'care' about me." I said making air quotes around the word care.

"Vie, I do care about you," he said.

"Just drive to your house so we can get this song done." I say looking out the window at the huge houses with the perfect families. He sighed and started the car and pulled away from the curb.

This chapter was so much fun to write. I love Jasper's character so much! Leo will be in the next chapter so you will get to meet him soon.