Chapter Twenty Nine

I open my eyes and move my legs. A smile graces my usually morbid face. I can stand! I slowly stand up. My knees wobble a bit, but I remain standing. A knock comes at my door.

"Come in." The door opens and Leo walks in. He gasps when he sees me.

"Vie, you're..."

"Standing." I finish for him.

"Can you walk?" I raise my foot and wobble. He reaches out to steady me, but I swat his hand. I lower my foot and take a step. I raise my other foot and start to walk to Leo. When I make it I fall onto him, exhausted. He sits me down in my wheelchair and I collapse.

"I walked."

"You walked." Tears fill my eyes and a few spill out.

I walked!" He wipes my tear and smiled.

I was sitting in the living room with Lizzy after school. Nothing had really happened in school. I still used my wheelchair, and I didn't tell anyone that I had walked. This is the last regular week of school, next week was finals prep, and the week after that is finals. Quite frankly I don't care about finals, that is an awful thing to think, but even if I do well on the finals what will it get me? When Leo and I had told Lizzy about me walking before school she had been overjoyed. She had been so happy. I hadn't told my mother yet. Leo walked into the room holding his phone.

"That was Jasper, he said he's flying home this weekend."

"This weekend?" Leo nods.

"He was supposed to fly in Thursday of next week!" Lizzy says.

"Something went wrong, he wouldn't tell me."

"Did you tell him?" I say finally speaking.

"No, I thought you would like to." I nod and he sits down not he couch.

"Will one of you drive me to the hospital?"

"We'll both go." Lizzy said. They both get up and Lizzy and Leo drive me to the hospital. Outside my mother's room I stand up. Shakily at first, but I soon stop my legs from shaking. I take a small step towards the door. Then another, until I am almost walking normally. I walk into my mother's room. She looks up her eyes going wide.

"Vie!"

"Mom!" I walk over to her bed and sit on the floor next to it.

"Did you just walk into my room?"

"I did."

"My baby just walked!" She hugged me. I felt her tears soaking through my shirt.

"Your baby just walked." I mumbled into her shoulder. I felt happy, for the first time in a long while.

•••

Yay! She walked! Comment whether you liked this chapter. Also don't forget to vote, comment, and check out other stories!!

-Ally