Chapter Twenty Four

I sat in my room all day, refusing to leave. I couldn't bring myself to face Jasper. I heard a knock on my door and it opened slowly. Leo came in and gave me a small smile.

"Are you okay Vie?"

"If by okay you mean slowly dying, then yes." He sighs and kneels next to me.

"Vie, it hurts everyone to see you like this."

"Trust me, it hurts me too."

"I know it does, I miss you Vie. The happy you."

"You have never met the happy me." I snap.

"Yes I have, you just like to keep her locked up."

"I want to let her out. It's not that easy."

"No, it isn't. Do you want to go see your mom?"

"Yes," I say quietly. He wheels me out of my room. As we pass Jasper I lower my head, unable to meet his eyes. I love him, and I always will, but I don't want to hurt him.

When we get to the hospital Leo wheels me to my mother's room. I stay outside the door, taking a deep breath. I slowly go in and see my mother. She looks so thin and sick. A tear rolls down my face and I immediately go over to her.

"Mom!"

"Aren't you going to ask me how I am?"

"I know the answer I will get, I don't want to hear it."

"I'm sorry Vie."

"Why are you sorry?"

"I will leave you alone." She grabs my hand, even this small movement seems to cause her pain.

"I won't be alone." I say, my voice shakes and she holds my hand tighter.

"I know," She holds my hand, and we stay silent. After awhile she sighs and looks me in the eyes. "I'm scared Vie. What happens after this?"

"I don't know." I say honestly.

"No one knows, and that is what scares me." She looks down tears flooding her eyes. "I'm terrified that one day I won't be able to wake up."

"Mom," I say tears filling my own eyes,

"Ask me how I am Vie," she asks looking up at me.

"How are you feeling mom?" I ask, sobs wracking my body.

"I'm better." She says and a tear slides down her cheek. I close my eyes and sob harder. She reaches out with her bony hand and gives me a half hug. I hug her back, carefully. I don't want to hurt her anymore than she is. "I'm better." She whispers more to herself. I sob harder into her shoulder. I relish the feeling of being in my mother's arms. It's a feeling I won't have much longer.

•••

This chapter is so sad! Comment, vote, and check out my other stories! Comment your suggestions or ideas for this story.

Also comment your stories! I would love to read them! I will give you a shout out!

-Ally