5 | Heartbeat

If This Is Love: 5 | Heartbeat
| Laura Renae |

The whole twenty minute car ride to wherever the hell we were going, was completely silent. I kept my gaze fixed out the window, watching the boring scenery of buildings and other cars keep me entertained. We had soft music playing, but neither Rydel or myself were singing along, not even a single hum. And honestly, I didn't care for it. I preferred this over any talk about my newfound feelings. But boy, a girl could only dream it'd last. Rydel pulled into a parallel parking spot right out front of the Grub Restaurant, she shut off the car and turned to look at me.

"Is everything okay?" She quietly asks me. Saw that coming. "Ross came into the kitchen with his pissed off, leave me alone face after he talked to you." She keeps her voice quiet, which for some reason makes me want to burst out crying. "Did you two fight?" She asks me.

"Not really." I whisper, looking down at my lap and messing with my fingers.

"Then what happened?" She whispers back.

"He asked why I couldn't sleep, I said it's because I'm not sleeping with him, he got all soft and said something along the lines of we can't sleep together forever, which got me pissed and I told him to leave." I explain, slightly shrugging my shoulders. "I told him not to worry 'cause it's just the way things are going to be, which got him a little upset." I could see Rydel nod her head slowly out of the corner of my eye, which only caused my eyes to actually water up.

"Why are you so upset about it?" She quietly asks.

"Are you serious?" I ask, lifting my head up to look at her. "Rydel, we literally just talked about this yesterday-" She holds her hand up for me to stop talking.

"Okay, first off, cut it with the attitude. You're a lot more grumpy when you don't sleep and when you and Ross aren't on good terms. Secondly, I'm asking why you're so upset. Do you think Brianna is going to replace you? Which is completely not true, considering you and Ross are in a band together. And live together."

"But I don't want him as my best friend, I want him as my boyfriend." I say, looking back down at my lap. "And yeah, I'm afraid that these changes will make us grow apart, meaning I'd be kicked to the curb a d Brianna would become the new me. I don't want that to happen."

"Hate to say it, but you need to apologize to Ross." I lift my head up with raised eyebrows, looking directly at her. "The route you're going, you'd be the one to push Ross away, making it easy for him to replace you." I frown. "Would you rather lose him as a best friend and tear the band apart because you found out you like him, or would you rather keep him as your best friend and hope that him and Brianna don't last. Because I did that second option, and it worked out perfect for me."

"Not everything works out perfectly." I mumble.

"Would you rather lose him or keep him as a best friend." I sigh.

"Keep him as a best friend. Even though it'll be hard." I tell her.

"It'd be a hell of a lot harder losing him if you love him-"

"I never said I love him, Rydel." I immediately say.

"Excuse me, like him." I nod my head, agreeing with her. "So when we get home, you better find Ross right away and talk to him and apologize. And honestly, step up your fucking flirting game, Laura."