The world is ours

Simon stands at the other side of the room, his back straight and the black suit and tie clinging to him perfectly. My heart attempts to escape my ribcages whenever I look at him wearing such a thing, but I'd much rather he be wearing jeans and a T-shirt, just because I know he'd be more comfortable. He nods and smiles every now and then in response to the nonsense leaving the mouth of the man that stands close by him.

I know the smile is fake. It's tight and hard and doesn't touch his eyes. I watch in adoration when he licks his lips or bites down on his bottom lip, or runs a hand through his hair, I know he's not even aware he's doing any of these things.

Simon I both strongly dislike either of our parent's parties, in fact, we spend many nights laid in bed and suggesting all the scenarios we could create that could get us out of them. But here we are. Again.

"Oh, Amanda!" A voice bellows from the crowd of people dressed in fancy outfits, all of the faces secretly turning their noses up at everyone who so much as brushes their shoulder up against their own.

The voice is nasally and I would assume whoever is calling my name currently has the misfortune of a minor illness if I didn't know the voice all too well.

"Kasitlyn," I say through gritted teeth. "How are you?" I ask while turning to my right to face her.

The woman stood before me is a close family friend. She thinks just because she happened to be close with my parents at one point in her life, she has the responsibility of making conversation with me whenever our paths meet. Her hair is cut perfectly and hugs her face. The deep red colour shines through every strand and sways almost in slow motion when she moves her head.

"I'm wonderful," she slurs. "What about you, dear? What's new with you?"

Even as she says this, I can guess she's lying through her teeth. There's a high chance her husband is cheating on her, and her, on her husband. She's probably drowning in debt and her children wish they'd never been born. Despite this, she hides it with a smile.

"I've been fairly good, thank you," I say and smile politely. "Not much is new but I'm just trying to appreciate every day." I try to hold the smile on my face as she nods with a bored look in her eye.

"Rumour has it, you've got yourself a boyfriend," Kaitlyn grins and reaches an arm out as though to touch me, but thinks more of it and withdraws her claws.

"I didn't think that was so hard to believe but yes, I do." I shift uncomfortably in my heels and feel my hand sweating around the wine glass. I alternated it between my hands and wiped my palms against my dress.

".. Tell me about him," she says quietly and sips her wine. I can see a red lipstick stain around the rim.

Simon pops into my mind without me having to make an effort. I suppress a smile and find the floor to be quite interesting. "Well, his name is Simon and we met a few years ago at work. He's somewhere around here, actually."

"I'd love to meet him." She's glancing around the room, and it's painfully obvious she's searching for a new target to make her own. I stay quiet and wait to see how long it takes before she disappears.

Eventually, I see her catch sight of her husband at the bar. She waves me off with a forced smile before her heels are click-click-clicking across the floor and through the crowd.

Sighing, I look around the room. People are smiling, laughing and enjoying themselves, sipping wine and making conversation. I tap my nails against the glass and enjoy the sound.

My shoes are the next to click against the floor while I make my way over to the long length table backed up against the wall. All sorts of food has been spread across it and I can feel my stomach rumbling at the sight.