5: An Offer

Over the next three weeks we work on a few cases together, luckily catching all of the criminals in each case, some taking longer then others. Hotch calls me into his office one Tuesday morning, "Good morning Maddison, have a seat." He directs me.

"What can I do for you?" I ask him with a calm smile.

He looks at me firmly from where he sits, "I just got word that JJ will be returning after our next case is solved."

"I see." I say back, knowing I'd only stay during her leave of absence. She was off 3 weeks before I started and was only taking 7 weeks for her maternity. Part of me wished she'd extend it for the full 12, but I can't blame her wanting to get back to work, "well, I really appreciate you letting me fill in for her while she was gone." I smile towards him.

"Well, if you would like to stay, I can manage a position for you and you can apply. We can have it all settled by the end of the week." He offers me a job, one they don't have open but one he can create.

I tilt my head, shocked at his offer, "oh, wow. That's--that's an incredible offer, I appreciate that a lot." I say back.

"So, is that a yes?" He asks with a grin, "you are a wonderful asset to our team."

I sigh, trying to think about what I want to do. Just then there is a knock on the door and Tara is standing at it, "one moment." He directs to her and she nods. He looks back to me, "think about it, and at the end of this case you can let me know." I smile and nod, standing up and shaking his hand.

"Thank you, sir" I say before exiting out of the office and making my way to the meeting, knowing we're about to review the next case.

Once Penelope informs us of the murder and it's location, Spencer gives us the rundown of the location where it happened, "Glenport Village, Florida, houses a wide spectrum of non-violent offenders, crimes ranging from statutory rape to public urination in front of children. No rapists or murderers until now."

Tara responds, "well, I can tell you one thing. Reverend Santos and his community are dedicated to reform." Tara tells us. She helped the reverend in charge of this community come up with a survey and system in order for this community to work.

"It says here he went to jail at 18 for impregnating his 15-year-old girlfriend." I say, drawn to that aspect of this man.

"Yes, but no offenses since and they're still happily married" She responds, showing us the grey in a normally black and white justice world.

Derek asks, "am I reading this right? Families with kids live there?"

"The law requires sexual offenders to live certain distances from bus stops, playgrounds, and schools, but it says nothing about being their neighbors. In most cities that's a legal oversight, but in this one, it was part of the design plan." Spencer explains to us.

Tara elaborates the plan that she helped make, "look, here's some context. In 2009, Reverend Santos was able to buy up a few homes in Barclay Bay using church funds. Now, the real estate was already inexpensive in this area, but when surrounding residents found out that he planned to house sex offenders, there was a mass exodus, so eventually he was able to buy up the rest of the homes and then rename the town."

"Will he cooperate with us?" Rossi asks her.

Hotch assures, "he's already sending us files on all the residents, past and present."

"This community is a fascinating experiment." Tara comments, "typically when sex offenders try to reintegrate into society, they're rejected, they're isolated. But this community, sick of the harassment, decided to self-isolate." She speaks passionately about it.