15: Spilling Beans

MADDISON'S P.O.V.

"You want to tell everyone before we even tell our families?" I ask him as we lay in the hospital bed together.

He smiles, "I don't think I can keep it a secret very long!" He returns happily, "I'm gonna be a dad!" He adds on, his face lighting up like the Times Square Christmas Tree.

I chuckle, "if that's what you want, it's still pretty early though" I add before I lean up to kiss him on the cheek.

He ignores my comments and suggests "Your dad is outside with everyone else, he can be the first to know."

I bite my lower lip, wondering if I should tell him that Spencer knows too. I decide against it, not wanting to hurt Sonny's feelings. It's not like I told him, Spencer just figured it out on his own, as he usually does with things. "Sure" I return and he gets up to go get my dad.

When he walks in, his face is still showing pain and I know he feels guilty about what happened. I know he is blaming himself for everything, and I wish I could say it wasn't his fault. But wasn't it? I find myself wondering for a moment. I haven't had much time to further think about what Doyle said to me about the deal he offered my dad until I saw his face. I regret it, wishing things were different in this moment. I don't want to tell him he's going to be a grandfather when all I can think is he is the reason my mother is dead, but Sonny wants to tell him, tell everyone; and I owe it to him. "Dad, can you have a seat?" I ask, another chair now pulled up to my bed.

My dad takes a seat, sighs heavily and says, "Maddison, I am so sorry I never told you about that deal. I just thoug--"

I stop him from continuing, not ready for this discussion right now, "dad, please. We can talk about that later, there's something I--"I correct my wording, "we want to tell you."

My dad pauses, looking at me then Sonny when I correct myself. I can tell he's intrigued with what I said to him, he leans back a bit in his chair, "alright, go ahead."

"Dad, I'm pregnant." I spit it out quickly, like pulling a band-aid off.

I can tell he doesn't know how to respond, sitting back up towards the bed, then back down again in the chair. Eventually, after some awkward silence he responds, "That's--that's wonderful honey!" He stands up to lean in and give me a hug, "is the baby okay?" He questions next as he releases me.

"Yes, the baby and I are both fine." I assure him.

"Mr. Grey, we wanted you to be the first to know." Sonny stands, pushing his hand forward to shake my dads hand, "and I'm going to do this right, I'm going to marry your daughter before the baby--"

I stop him from continuing, "wow, wow. Slow down there sunshine." It's sweet that he wants to get married, but it's not something we discussed, throwing me a bit off guard. And it's the exact thing he did with his ex, and although I'd never cheat on Sonny, I don't want to feel like he only married me for our baby. I want him to want to marry me, to want to be married and go through life as husband and wife.

My father takes Sonny's hand but then goes around the side of the bed where he's standing, "please, call me Donald, son." He then takes Sonny in an embrace.

I try not to roll my eyes at his reaction. My father, the stern FBI agent, accepting Sonny into our family, already calling him son. He didn't think I could do much better then Spencer. He never said so, but I worked with profilers long enough to figure that out. My father then looks to me, then back to Sonny, "this will be good, I know it." He says, taking one last glance at me before moving to sit back down.

"Dad, can you ask my sergeant to come in?" I ask him before he could fully seat himself, knowing that if he stayed longer we'd end up talking about the things I was told, things that will change everything between us.

He gives me a weird glare, "you sure you should tell her right now? You two working together and dating is one thing, but having a baby?" He asks multiple questions.

Sonny eyes me, now curious if we should say something to her now or not. I look at him and say, "she's going to figure it out soon enough. I'm sure she already knows about us, you getting held at my apartment and all."

Sonny nods and my dad notices, "alright." He leaves the room.

Olivia walks in a few minutes later with a coffee in her hand, "so, returning on Monday, huh?" She jokes when coming in, "I'm glad you're okay Maddison." She offers first.

"Sarge, take a seat." Sonny tells her, a large smile on her face. She does what he says, odd to witness as we usually do what she says, "alright Sarge, you probably figured out by now that Maddison and I are kind of-- you know, kind of have a thing." Sonny finds a way to word it.

Olivia chuckles, "I've known for a while that you two were hooking up, if that's what you mean." Sonny and I share a glance and she elaborates, "I have eyes, and I know Maddison took some time to go to the BAU because of a breakup or something. I'm just glad she's back."

"Well, I am. But it's more than just us hooking up now." I state, worried about telling her. What if she puts me on desk duty? What if she transfers me out, thinking I couldn't do the job anymore.

"Okay." She returns, patiently waiting for me to go on.

Sonny spits it out, "we're having a baby!"

Olivia's flat lipped grin turns into a smile rather quickly, "you're pregnant?" She looks to me, standing up and taking a hold of my hand.

I nod and respond, "8 weeks."

She leans down for a hug, "congratulations, that's wonderful."

Sonny then looks to her, "so I know you're probably thinking this might complicate things at work, but it won't. Maddison and I are good and we'll make sure that nothing gets in the way of work or--"

Olivia doesn't let him finish, "I'm not worried about that right now Sonny, I'm just happy the two of you are okay" she gestures to me and then to Sonny, "and that the two of you figured things out. We can talk about work another time." She assures us.

"Thank you." I say to her kindly, happy with how well she took the news.

"Speaking of work. Maddison, you're going to be out for 2-3 weeks or so to heal." She changes the subject then, already talking to my doctor for details.

I give her a hurt look, "it's just an arm injury, I can still do my job."

She returns back, "I'm not arguing with you on this. You're off for 2 weeks, and need to get cleared to come back by a doctor and a psychologist. Sonny, take a few days for yourself as well."

"Sarge" He responds to protest.

She gives him a glare, telling him not to argue, "you've been through trauma too, alright? You can come back as soon as you're cleared."

"Alright, fine." He begrudgingly responds.

Olivia goes over to him, "and congratulations." She leans in to give him a hug of his own, then leaving the room, "I'll see you guys soon."