25: The Carisi's

Unfortunately, the next day Avery dies. It was a direct result of the fall and things are going to get way worse for Darius. On Wednesday, the DA sends down Kenneth O'Dwyer so they can prosecute Darius as an adult. It's a hard blow for everyone, and Olivia sends Finn and Amanda to tell him and his mother. The day after is Avery's funeral, and I manage to convince Olivia to let me go along. The three of us sit in the back of the church during the service. It was a beautiful service, very moving and filled with people whom Avery touched in her short life. When we exit the service after paying our respects, we head over to her parents, "thank you for coming" her father reaches his hand out towards Olivia and she starts the train of hand shaking.

"Beautiful, beautiful ceremony" Olivia returns to him.

Her mother returns, "Avery was loved."

"I can see that." Sonny affirms after shaking her hand, "this is detective Grey." He introduced me to her parents.

"I am so sorry for your loss." I tell them.

Her father answers me, "thank you" then turns to look at Olivia, "we heard that Darius McCrae is gonna be charged as an adult."

Avery's mother says, "I wish the DA had come to the service. Everything Avery believed was about forgiveness."

Olivia explains back, "well, the DA wants to make sure that what happened to Avery never happens again."

"How?" She pushes back, "by locking up a 15-year-old? Tell the DA that's now what we want."

"Lisa, please." Her husband tries to calm her down.

She begins to tear up, "it's not what Avery would want."

She storms off and her father excuses himself. The three of us share glances together, feeling very similar about the situation at hand.

Friday goes by pretty slowly, but luckily, it's the weekend and I am so excited to get back to work on Monday. I prepare for dinner with Sonny's parents on Sunday. I decide to make a pie to bring for dessert and a bottle of red wine for dinner. I throw on a nice sun dress and finish getting ready just as Sonny arrives to pick me up "you look beautiful my love." He comes over to me and plants a kiss on my lips.

"Thanks" I simply say back. I grab the pie out of the fridge, "will you carry this?" I ask, going to hand it over.

"Of course." He takes it from me, and walks over to the door "ready."

"Yup." I smile back happily, grabbing the bottle of wine and locking up behind me.

Once we arrive at his family's house, the butterfly's set in. Or maybe it was the morning sickness I've been lucky enough not to have yet. Whatever it is, my stomach is turning and before I could ask for a moment to breathe and prepare myself, the door opens and a man whom I'm assuming is his father opens the door wide, "Dominick! We're so happy you were able to make it to dinner tonight!" He smiles, embracing his only son.

"Hi dad." Sonny simply chuckles back accepting the gesture.

His father spots me as he hugs him and quickly releases Sonny, moving him so he can see me, "and this is the girlfriend, huh? She's quiet a catch!" He smiles wide, opening his arms to me, "welcome to the family dear!"

"Hi Mr. Carisi, it's a pleasure to meet you!" I say back to him as he squeezes me in between his arms.

"Dominic senior! I'm not finished with you yet, get your butt in here!" I hear a women's voice yell from inside, thick with the Staten Island accent Sonny sometimes lets out.

He lets go of me and gives me a little smirk, "I better get in there before she raises hell." He then turns to head back inside, "please, please. Come in!" He quickly turns and waves his hand multiple times like a fan.