36: Reality Lies

The second week of September rolls in and we get a case involving a family of reality T.V. One of the young daughters was found to be pregnant, and Olivia, Finn and Sonny just got back from the hospital and informed us what they got, "I've got to say it is extremely frustrating. I mean, they did promise to take it up with their local pd, but it seems like they don't trust outsiders very much." Olivia paces the floor a bit.

"Maybe they're just protective of their kids." Sonny offers.

Amanda chimes in, "you mean their brand. Look at what happened with the Duggars. Word gets out that one of those virgin Baker daughters is knocked up, there goes the TV show, the book deal, the multimillion dollar chastity empire."

"Rollins, these people, they take their faith very seriously, and they're entitled to their beliefs." Sonny returns, not agreeing with her assumptions.

"All right, not to interrupt a theological debate, but given the fact that there's no evidence of an assault, no complaint from the girl or her parents, I mean, why are we pursuing?" Our new sergeant asks.

"She's 13, Dodds. It's statutory rape." I clearly state to him, a bit annoyed he'd even ask.

He returns, "yeah, I know that, but I've been here before. The Hasidim in Crown Heights, these religious communities, they— Close ranks." He goes to explain.

Olivia stands firm; "which is exactly why we don't let it go. Lane lives in an insular environment. Whoever got her pregnant is a predator with access."

"Yeah, access outside of our jurisdiction." Sonny states, "you want me to put in a call to Allanville PD, lieutenant?"

Mike argues, "local celebrities in a small town? I don't think they're gonna be much help."

Amanda butts in, "I may have found something. Their entire life is an open blog. You guys said that the doctors think that Lane is 10 to 12 weeks pregnant, right? Which means it happened probably..."

"September or August." Sonny tries to count the months.

"In July, right?" I say quickly, knowing he doesn't know about pregnancy and timing more than any other guy does.

Amanda nods and continues, "when they were here, in Harlem, doing some mission work. Lane and some of her siblings. Look." She turns her laptop for all of us to see.

"That's probable cause for statutory rape in New York City." Olivia states with affirmation in her voice.

"You want me and Carisi to take another run at them in the hospital?" Amanda asks, clearly wanting to get off desk duty.

Fin calls out, "Amanda, you're on desk duty."

She laughs from the back of her throat, "I'm at the hospital every week. Come on. I'm the only one here thats actually seen this reality show."

"Nice try, Amanda." Olivia says back to her. "So, Dodds, you've had experience with insular religious communities?"

"Okay, let's go." Sonny steps up to go with him.

"Fin, you can go with." She says, putting Sonny on desk detail with us for the time being.

He gives me a look and I just smile coyly with a small shrug. He shrugs back and goes to his desk to work, "that was sly Amanda, you knew she wouldn't let you go." I say to my friend as we work.

She lets our a sigh, "I'm just ready to get back to doing my job."

"You and me both." I return, "at least you only have a few more weeks to go. I look just as pregnant as you do and still have like double the weeks left." I rub my large stomach, annoyed at the pants I have to wear now.