49: The Kind Hearts of Friends

Once Sonny leaves for work, the babies start to stir awake. I manage to change both their diapers but trying to feed them becomes challenging. Usually Sonny will take one and try and keep them distracted while I feed the other but Eli is crying as I feed Elaina and his cries are affecting her and she isn't suckling as well as usual. As I continue to try and and feed her, my phone pings;

JJ: Hey momma! How are you and everyone doing? First day alone, how's it going?

I open my phone and respond back to her

Madison: I'm exhausted and it's only 9 A.M! But it's okay because we are all home and we're all healthy. Although I do wish breastfeeding wasn't so hard to do with two babies. I thought it'd be easier by now.

JJ: It'll get easier, don't worry. I am so happy you guys are all home, too. We're working on getting some time off to come up and visit, we're dying to see them. You guys take the cutest pictures and Henry will not stop talking about having a baby girl cousin.

Madison: Aww, we would love for you guys to come visit. We have a spare room available for you anytime. And thank you so much for all those book recommendations, they really help. You're the best.

JJ: If you need anything, call, love you.

I smile at her last text and put my phone down, deciding then to switch Elaina and Elijah and see if I can get him to eat. Although neither of them seem to suckle as much as they usually do, I decide to give up for now and just pump and feed them with bottles. They both rest in their respective chairs and eventually slip into a slumber. I place myself on the couch and fall asleep almost instantly. My phone pinging and vibrating underneath me wakes me and Sonny's name pops on my screen, "hey baby" I whisper into the phone as I move over to leave the room and talk.

"Hey, how are you doing?" He asks me, "I have 30 minutes for lunch, need me to bring anything by?"

"We're okay, you should try and catch some extra sleep." I encourage him, "it was hard feeding them this morning but they're both asleep now so we're good."

"well, alright. If you need anything give me a call. I love you, give them a kiss for me." He says. I assure him I will and we hang up. When Sonny gets home that night he watches the kids so I can cook us some dinner. After we eat, he takes the twins and watches them as he does dishes so I can shower.

The next two nights and days are all similar as we get into a new routine of me taking care of the babies as he goes off to work. Around 11 A.M. on Thursday there is a knock on our door. Both babies are hysterically crying and I quickly place Elaina down so I can get the door while trying to sooth Elijah, "Aunt PelPee is here! Don't worry, come here little handsome!" Penelope sings as soon as the door is open.

"Penelope! What are you doing here?" I ask her with my mouth hanging open. I willingly let her take Elijah as she saunters into the apartment her heals clacking along the way.

"Well, JJ said you were tired and I convinced Kevin to take over whatever case we have next and I'm all yours for the next 2 days. Well tonight and Friday. I have to go back Saturday afternoon but still, I'm here and--"

I quickly wrap my arms around her, stopping her from going on, "oh my god, thank you!"

"Oh myyyy, isn't he the cutest! I can just eat him up!" She says once I let go and she lifts him up so she can fully see him.

I say, "let me get Elaina, you're incredible" as I go to get grab her. Once we're all back and sitting in the living room, it's easy for the two of us to get the babies to stop crying and they fall asleep, "Ohh, I can't believe you're here." I push some hair away from my face, and lean back over to give her another hug, "how are you? Tell me everything!? Are you back with Kevin, I mean if he's doing your work then I'm assuming--"

She puts her hand on my knee to stop me this time from rambling on and says, "hey, we have plenty of time to catch up. Why don't you go get some rest and I'll watch over the babies."

I shake my head, "no, no, I want to catch up! It's the first time I've seen you in months. Talk to me." I almost beg, kind of excited to have some adult conversation that doesn't involve baby talk.

She smiles, "we can talk when you get up. Go to your room" she stands up, making me doing so as well, "lay down in bed and get some sleep. If anything comes up, I will get you. Now, go."

"Penelope" I try and convince her again.

She snaps her fingers and points hastily towards our bedroom, "bed, now!" Her eyes wide and mouth stern.

I give her a thankful smile and shuffle back to my room. I fall asleep almost instantly and I wake up on my own time. I scramble out of the room to something smelling delicious, "hey, what's going on in here?" I ask, seeing Penelope in the kitchen cooking and Sonny on the floor with Elijah, doing tummytime.

Sonny smiles at me, standing up to give me a kiss. After our lips part he says, "Penelope insisted on making us dinner and just wants us to spend time with each other and the babies."

"Penelope, you don't have to do all this." I say, walking into the kitchen to talk to her.

She smiles, turning to face me, showing off her very hot pink apron, "oh, it is my pleasure. I am making my infamous chicken dish with mashed potatoes and you two are going to relax with each other."

"You are the best person in the entire whole world!" I tell her, quickly moving to give her a hug.

"You forgot the universe!" She jokes back, accepting the hug then moving back to finish cooking.

All three of us eat dinner together as the babies stay quiet in their chairs as the tv movements keep them distracted. Sonny and I inform her of everything recent going on with the babies and then she informs us of how things are with the BAU. After work talk, Penelope and I start talking more personally and Sonny just sits in the chair and smiles, sipping a glass of red wine and keeping an eye on the babies for us. We all go out together on Saturday morning, Olivia giving him the weekend off and we walk through Central Park just talking. After we get back to the apartment, Penelope packs up and I drive her to the airport, "I can not tell you enough how special this was. You are the best aunt in the whole world!"

She fans herself, "don't I already know it" She smiles then sincerely returns, "I am just so happy you guys are happy. You have the most precious babies Maddy, I am so happy for you." She begins to start to cry "and I soon as I am back in my chair I will be looking into when the next time I can come is. JJ and Morgan will probably fight me but I don't care, I will not go another 4 months without seeing those angels!"

"Okay, well I think Sonny and I are planning a trip home so my dad can spend some extra time with them. Yanno, Sonny's parents are going to be around a lot so I feel kinda bad." I tell her.

She smiles, "well, tell me when and I'll plan the entire trip!"

I lean back in to give her another big hug, "you are the best, I love you."

"I love you, too!" She hugs then waves as she leaves, pulling her hello kitty luggage behind with her.