50: Back to Work

"Okay, if you need anything call me. Even if I'm on a case, I have a special ring for you guys so I'll know to answer or call back ASAP" I say for probably the 5th time that morning to Sonny's parents.

"Of course, but we will be fine. Go to work, we'll all be here when you get back." His mom smiles, bouncing Elijah up and down. His father already took Elaina into the living room and I'm aleady 15 minutes behind schedule.

Once I get to work, I hustle inside and I apologize, "sorry, sorry. It was so hard to leave them this morning." I say out to everyone in the room.

Olivia returns, "It's okay, we get it. We're glad to have you back Grey." She smiles and gives me a hug to welcome me back. Amanda comes over to me next and our hug lasts longer than the others. Her baby is a day younger then ours and she also almost died, having had a problem with her placenta bursting. We've gotten really close the past few months and I am so glad to have a friend like her, someone who truly gets everything I am going through. After their last case that involved Tucker and the Catholic Church, Sonny volunteered to go undercover at a homeless shelter. He explained how hard the case was for him and that going undercover to capture this guy was going to help him through it. We argued about it, but ultimately our passion for our jobs to get these scumbags off the street won even me over and we invited his parents over to stay with us while he was gone. He told me he'd try and see me on Sunday's, at the church near the shelter he was staying at but that if he wasn't there then it was okay, and he was just busy working. Two Sunday's have come and gone this month and he didn't show. He also missed the babies latest check up, where they told me everything looked great for both of them, and that Elaina may soon pass Elijah with making her benchmarks. I was dying to tell him the good news, but I had no way to reach him.

"Good to see you, Amanda will catch you up on the ride over. We gotta go talk to some homeless scum about a rape last night." Fin stands from his desk, quickly gives me a hug and walks out.

"Another?" I ask Amanda with wide eyes. She shrugs and nods and starts to fill me in as we leave the precinct.

One inside, the man running things that Monday morning opens some doors and says, "any likely candidates would be in this group?"

One already annoying man quickly spits out, "likely for what? Nobody did anything."

I roll my eyes and Fin says, "right, and I'm sure you wouldn't lie to us."

I say to them all, "look, guys, it's just a request. Right, we'd like you to come down to the station.

Amanda adds, "or we can get your PO's down here, check your possessions, your appointment calendars, maybe do a spot drug test, just to make sure none of ya'll have violated your paroles." She then turns to the guy who let us in, "everyone here?"

"Not the new guy" He responds as he glances around.

"Where is he?" He asks the men inside the room.

The annoying man answers, "went to get some food."

An older man asks, "how long do you want to keep us?"

Fin steps up and squints at the man, "Gregory Searle? I thought we put you away for good."

He shrugs and replies, "compassionate parole. I have health issues.

The man running the room replies back flatly, "nobody cares. Just do what the police say."

A voice behind us says, "okay, who's hungry for donut holes?" I recognize his voice once he gets out the third word and Fin, Amanda and I all turn to stare down Sonny, the new guy. I try to keep my shock reaction from seeing him, but he doesn't look anything like himself. His hair is disheveled and his face and clothes are dirty. He looks around at all of us and shrugs, moving over to take a seat in an open chair, "whas all this?"