Chapter 56: Something Strange

Astrid

People say that you should always watch your back because you never know what will come up behind you. You know the answer will always be bad no matter what the circumstance. But to make sure the bad never comes you need to try and beat them at their own game even if that does mean you could lose the people around you. It won't be until the end they find out you were right all along and try to get you to forgive them. But are their apologises ever enough to right the wrong. Sometimes they never are but that's all you have to take. People say that you should watch your back because you never know what will come up behind you. And they are right.

I headed back to Berk trying to erase the image of the emerald eyes and the flock of brown-blonde hair that followed my movements on that island. The same figure that Viggo Grimborn was after and the question still rang in the air – why? I landed and decided to search the area to guess if my suspicions were correct and it was her that I saw following me. With each step that I took, the more area I scanned and she was nowhere in sight. "Hey Astrid, what are you doing?" I spun around to see Hiccup and Jack standing there both raising their eyebrows at me confused. "Looking for someo... something," I stopped midway hoping that they wouldn't get suspicious of my actions but I was wrong "More like someone," Jack crossed his arms at me "Okay, what's wrong with that?" they exchanged looks with each other before shaking their heads "Nothing but we can help you look, so who are you looking for?" I thought about whether I should let them help but I didn't know what the outcome would be. I sighed and answered "Hayley."

"Have any of you seen her around the island today?" they both nodded and pointed to the Great Hall. I stormed up in that direction and slammed the doors open. I suddenly felt this urge race through me of anger. Now I wanted answers more than ever with whatever force I could use. I had Hiccup and Jack right on my trail as I stormed over towards her. She seemed settled and enjoying the jokes the gang had on offer but once she noticed me coming towards her everything changed. "Hey Astrid what's-," But Snotlout was cut off by my own voice glaring at Hayley "Why were you following me?" Everyone seemed taken aback by my remark "What do you mean?" she acted innocent and she seemed pretty good at it. "I saw you following me, you were spying on me, first it started this morning at breakfast you wouldn't stop staring at me and the next thing your hiding in the bushes watching me on a different island," I felt a hand be placed on my shoulder, I turn to see Hiccup standing there with his a concerned expression "Astrid, I have no idea what you are on about, I've been here all day," I laughed at her "I don't believe that for one second but if you're not gonna admit it fine but I have another question for you."

She sighed heavily as did Hiccup by my side "Why is Viggo looking for you?" that's when everyone in the room froze and looked towards us. "Astrid, what are you on about?" Hiccup broke the silence turning me to face him but I pushed away so I could face back at Hayley "Answer the question," I demanded at her "I don't know who he is, I've never heard of that name before," I slammed my hands down on the table in front of her and leaned in close shouting "Stop lying Hayley! I can see past this facade of yours! Just give up!" I felt my weight be pulled away from her as everyone gave me disapproving looks. My weight was being pulled out of the Great Hall away from everyone else so in the end I was looking into forest eyes. I tried tugging away from their grip but it was deafening "I'm not letting go until you calm down you understand me," so I stopped. "You wanna tell me what that was all about?"

I looked up at Hiccup with his meaningful eyes "No, I'm not," I decided and walked away from him back down the steps. I heard him throw his arms up in frustration as I walked away. I made him believe I was heading back towards my house and when he wasn't looking I headed up to the guest houses venturing into Hayley's house and started my search again. She was hiding something and I wanted to know what it was. There was nothing downstairs unfortunately so I went upstairs. As I entered the place was I couldn't say a mess but to me that's what it was. I went over to these small contraptions which contains small viles of different liquids which have off different stenches. I picked each one up in turn, swirling them around. I didn't understand what each of them was but my guess was they were probably bad. I walked over to the desk and lay upon it was this cloth. Why would a random cloth be placed upon the desk. Did she have a cold or something? I picked it up in my hand and examined it carefully. "What are you doing here?" I jumped in my place hiding the cloth in the pocket of my skirt and spun around. I saw Hayley standing there with a frown across her face.

"I was looking for you," I lied to her face with no stutter to emphasise my lie. "Haven't you said enough," she spoke coldly at me "That's the thing, I came to apologise for my actions," she nodded at me raising her head in the end "I see, well I accept your apology but now you must leave," she raised her hand directing me to the door; I nodded and made my exit "Astrid don't come back here please," she said before I left, that just left me feeling suspicious even more. I headed back home placing my seat on my bad turning the cloth out from my pocket examining it once more. I couldn't see any harm to it but there must be something wrong with it, I could feel it. I lifted the cloth up to my face and sniffed. At first I couldn't smell anything so I pushed it closer towards my mouth and nose sniffing harder like a dragon would before I suddenly started to fade out.