1: Sugar pie?

Alyssa Mells POV

The sweet smell of freshly baked muffins and someone gently poking my side woke me. My eye lids fluttered open as my gaze met Amy, mouth wide open and eyes closed, she wasn't the one poking my shoulder. Rolling over slowly I was met with the sight of Axel. His chestnut brown hair, lighter than Amys, was tousled around and his warm tan skin glowed in the morning light. "Good morning." I greeted in a gravely low voice, not sitting up.

"Good morning." He kept his voice low. "I'm giving you time to get at a safe distance before I wake Miss grumpy-pants over there. Muffins downstairs if you want one." He added a wink at the end. Smiling I got out of bed and padded down the stairs of the Allison household. I loved it here.

Smells of food not beer.

Smells of forest air not cigarettes.

Smooth, clean floors and not the disgusting cupboard I had grown up in.

Mr and Mrs Allison had called the police on my parents on numerous occasions but there was never a reason for any "arrests" and if I ever recived any injuries, they resembled common child problems. I tripped in the kitchen. Or I was playing outside and a ball hit me or I jammed my hand somewhere. My parents never really hit me, they hardly paid attention to me. The occasional "Clean this dumbass" or "Go to those people you were living with before" the Allisons. I practically live here.

Smiling, I greeted Mr and Mrs Allison shyly, even after growing up with them, I was shy around all adults. Not Axel, although nineteen doesn't make him an adult, neither does Amy and I walking in on him lip syncing to "Barbie girl" a little while after my fifteenth birthday.

Birthday.

My sixteenth was coming up.

The year I'm able to seek out my mate and know who they are.

Mate.

I don't not want one, but I just don't desperately NEED one like Amy. She hadn't stopped talking about her mate since she was seven. She'd tell me what they'd do, back then it was embarrassing when she said kissing.

But my birthday was coming up whether I liked it or not. And Amy already "guessed" who she thought my mate was.

Dorian Lin from down the road. He hadn't turned sixteen but Amy was desperate to get us an invite to "prove me wrong" and "jump into his arms and run off into the sunset" which is... different.

Unlike the Allisons, no one else has their sixteenths private. I like their tradition, it seems all the more special.

But as I sat down and ate a warm muffin, my mind raced with questions. Would they throw me a sixteenth? They started throwing my birthday parties when I was ten and each year it brought me tears of joy, no matter how old I got.

"I hate you." Amy grumbled to her brother before sitting beside me. Her face was pulled in an unattractive pout and her hair... the only word for it is mess.

"Good morning." I greeted as she took a chocolate chip muffin. Don't get me wrong, I love chocolate, but in the morning? Not really.

"There's nothing good about mornings." She grumbled shoving the cupcake into her face.

"The lights nice, it smells nice." I shrugged smiling, Axel sat across from us smirking at his sister.