Chapter 55

Lily's POV
"Lily you ready?" I hear Josh yell from downstairs. I flatten out my pencil skirt and blouse, "Almost," I say shakily, I put my fists to my forehead and exhale deeply and shakily, don't cry, don't cry, don't cry, I shake my fists off my head and look in the mirror, "Do this for Josh, for Amara, you wanted to do this anyway," Just not this quick... I mutter to myself. I inhale and grab my keys, running down the stairs. I walk straight over to my shoes, slipping them on. "Boo," I hear Josh behind me, I smile, and I fix his yellow hair, he's holding Amara and I say hi to her, "If I didn't know myself, I'd say I look like a stuck-up, sophisticated, normal, human being." I kiss Amara's soft forehead, "Still hot though," I giggle, he always knows how to make me feel better. "You ready?" My mom says, walking in and taking Amara from Josh, Laura follows behind her, caressing Amara's little face, "Physically, yes. Mentally, unstable." I say with a forced wink. They nervously laugh, trying to figure if I'm lying or not, but plot twist, I'm not, "You'll do perfectly fine dear, won't she Amara?" Laura says looking at Amara, "Yep, go mommy!" My mom says in a baby voice, waving Amara's arms in the air. She coos and giggles, man I got the cutest damn kid. I laugh to myself and kiss Laura and my mom on the cheek, and then I kiss Amara. "We'll be back," Josh says behind me, as I walk out of the door. We walk over to the car in silence, we get in, and Josh hesitates to put the key in the ignition. We sit there for a minute, lost in our own thoughts. I laugh to myself, how did I get here? I should be happy, I've always wanted to go back to being a surgeon, but I guess I never wanted it to be forced upon myself. I just wish it was next year, after tour, me and Josh would be coming home from tour, having celebratory sex, and then the next day or, hell, whenever I wanted, we could be making this same car ride, just happier and less forced. I jump when I finally hear the car engine start. Here we go.
     "Is this it?" "No, take a left here, and then it'll be the huge building on your left," I say, this is the only time I think we've talked the entire car ride. A car ride hasn't been this awkward since, well, since we first we first met. We try and find a parking place in this huge, packed, parking lot. We get lucky, and a car pulls out in one of the first slots, damn this must be the most luck I've had in a while. He pulls in and turns off the car, we sit there for a minute, in silence, once again. I sigh, and diddle with my thumbs nervously, "Everything's happening faster then I can comprehend," I say, I lean my head on Josh's broad shoulder. He brings his hand up to my hair, and softens it out, "You'll be fine, you always are love," he says, I get butterflies, what is it about this man that is just so damn good. I lift my head up and look at him, my green eyes deeping in his brown ones. "I got this?" I say, he smiles and his eyes go all squinty, "You got this," I exhale deeply, and quickly peck him on the lips before jumping out of the car door and slamming it behind me. I wipe the tear starting to drip from my eye, "I got this," I say, starting to walk my way to the entrance.
"That's it?" The interviewing lady, Mary, says. "That's it." I say confident. "Well Lily, your resume is great, and you sound like an amazing person, but I don't think you are very fit for the job, sorry." She says, closing my resume folder, sliding it back over to me. I look to the side, ouch. I'm not giving up though, not yet, I slide my head back so I'm looking towards her, "See lady, that's where your wrong," "Excuse me?" I stand up and try to hide all my feelings, "Your wrong. I am very fit for this job, I'm strong, young, and talented," I start to raise my voice, "I've been through hell and back so, many, times, it's unreal. I need this job to help support my baby, so I can send her to college and make sure she's happy, I need this job so I can learn how to protect her, becuase life, life is hell in it's self, and I have to make my start somewhere!" "Lily," "I want to make a difference, I want to be a help, I want to save people, I want to help people, I want this job." "Lily," "I will do everything it takes to become a surgeon, and don't you think for a minute I'm unfit for this job becuase, damnit, I AM fit to be a surgeon!" I yell out, sitting back down, just like I'm fit to be a parent damnit! I'm catching my breath, and she stares at me with a smirk, "Congratulations, now you proved to me that you ARE fit for this job." I inhale, I feel the instant need to smile but I hold it back, realizing something, "You mean-" "Yes, we tell that to everyone we interview. We need to make sure the type of people we are hiring are fighters, are confident, and know for a fact they are good enough for the job, and you my dear, you meet our status." Mary says with a wink, "First day starts on Monday, expect it to be a 48 hour shift, welcome to the team," She says, handing me a pair of blue scrubs, empty name tag, a Stethoscope, and a white lab coat. She smiles and I stand up, trying to hold back my grin, "See you then," I say smoothly, totally not freaking out. I walk out of the door and start jumping up and down. AHHHHH!
      I hop in the car, and throw my stuff up on the dash-bored, I look over at Josh, gitty. "You got the job?!" "I GOT THE JOB!" We both squeal and embrace each other excitedly.