Part 2 chapter 4

"I just don't understand why you would say something like that!" Selina screamed at Penelope when she walked into her office and tried to apologize.   Penelope just stood there.  She deserved that.  This all seemed confusing and annoying.  Selina shouldn't be angry anymore.  She should have gotten over this by now.  "Jasmine needs to talk to you anyways, go on.  You can't be angry with her.  She didn't mean to kick you, she meant to kick to try to make the pain stop.  You've got to understand that.  Don't speak to me, but you have to still deal with Jasmine!" Penelope said.  Selina sighed and she left her office; leaving Penelope standing dumbfounded.

     Selina knocked as she was walking through the door.  She found the IV tube pulled out of Jasmine's arm and it was turnt off.  The whole system was completely turnt off.  "What did you do, Jasmine?!!" Selina asked with a hint panic and anger in her voice.  Jasmine started to cry.  She wasn't used to Selina yelling at her.Selina clamed the tube and she turnt on the system.  Jasmine got out of bed and she went into the bathroom to escape from Selina's anger.  Selina knocked on the door.  "Jasmine, come out." Selina said with a certain tiredness in her voice.  Jasmine came out and she sat down beside her bed, far away from a distracted and annoyed Selina.

      "What did you do to this pump?  Jasmine answer me, I'm not getting any younger.  I'm not angry, I just want to understand you." Selina said.  Jasmine looked at her feet and she spoke up.  "It made me feel bad, and then I felt bad for Penelope.  She didn't deserve any of this.  I stopped it so you could give half of it back to her!  Just don't be mad.  I felt afraid and it hurt going in.  Don't make me finish it!" she said with tears in her eyes.  Selina nodded quietly.  "You did this to get back at me for ignoring you didn't you?" Selina said suspicously.  Jasmine nodded and Selina sighed.  At this moment she hated nursing.  She hated herself and she hated Jasmine!  This wasn't right, she was supposed to love nursing, but now she hated it.  She didn't want to do it anymore, but she had no choice.  This was the carrer she choose and she will feel differently eventually.  "I am acting like Jennifer!  I should care and want to be a nurse.  Jasmine knows I care, but she doesn't understand me.  She isn't supposed to understand me; I'm supposed to understand her." Selina thought.  "Jasmine, come sit near me.  I need to restart an IV and I will be gentle and I won't hurt you this time if you would just TRUST me." Selina said after a long, awkward silence.  Jasmine stood up and went to sit near Selina.  "Good, good." Selina mumbled gently.  Jasmine looked across the room at her bed.  It was unmade and the blankets were crumpled.  Selina cleared her throat softly and she asked "Are you ready to start?"  Jasmine nodded and gave Selina her arm.  Selina smiled and grabbed an alcohol pad from the medical supply cabinet.  She had to get a whole new IV kit and she had to take extra time to make sure Jasmine was comfortable.  She cleaned Jasmine's arm gently.  She didn't even try distracting Jasmine.  "How are you doing so far, Jasmine?" Selina asked calmly.  Jasmine took a deep breath and she said "I'm nervous and afraid of what's next.  I don't really trust you.  I don't want you to hurt me and I am already shaking and you've barely touched me."  Selina smiled and rubbed Jasmine's arm gently.  Selina spoke gently "You can trust me.  Just relax your arm and let me start your IV again.  Relax your arm.  You're too tense!  Trust me, Jasmine.  I'm not going to hurt you on purpose, I promise." she said.  Jasmine closed her eyes and her arm relaxed.  Selina tapped her arm and she put a thick blue torniquet on her upper arm.  She finally found a vein.  She waited for her arm to feel completely relaxed and she waited until Jasmine seemed completely calm.  She stuck Jasmine gently.  Jasmine yelped and pulled away quickly.  Selina didn't have time to grab her arm to restrain her gently.  The needle came out and Selina groaned.  Jasmine began to cry softly.  Selina rubbed her arm again and said "You trusted me.  I didn't mean to hurt you, it sort of happens when you're poking a razor sharp needle into your vein ad leaving behind a large tube your body isn't accustomed to."  Jasmine dried her eyes.  Selina took her other arm.  "Do not move, please!  I am running out of veins and placds to attempt to start your IV.  Relax, close your eyes, and DO NOT MOVE!" Selina exclaimed exasperately.  Jasmine closed her eyes.  Her body went limp and Selina took her other arm.  Jasmine stayed relaxed and when Selina was able to start the IV and Jasmine didn't move .  But, she began to cry.  Selina rubbed her arm gently.  The needle came out leaving a tube.  Selina taped it down quickly and she got rid of the needle. 

       Jasmine opened her eyes.  Selina smiled. Her smile was contagious.  Jasmine began to smile brightly.  She forgot about the pain in her arm.  Jasmine was soon laughing and smiling.  She forgot about the life sustaining bone marrow dripping into her arm.  She felt perfect.