Part 2 chapter 9

Selina's POV

I walk into Jasmine's room with a smile on my face.  I hate myself for feeling annoyed with my job.  "Are you doing okay, Jasmine?  Penelope wanted to pull me into a meeting and I had to make sure you were okay before I got trapped in a meeting that I can't even comprehend!  Back to the subject, are you okay, don't be brave Jasmine?" I say with a smile.  Jasmine looks up from her sketch pad, but only for a moment to say "I'm fine, go to your stupid meeting!" with a sharp voice that cuts through me like a knife cuts through warm butter.  I must have had a look of hurt on my face because I had to force a smile back onto my face.  I am hurt and angry, but I am glad Jasmine feels fine.  I have seen from the tests that she doesn't have long.  I never told her that her cancer is fast progressing and Dr. Baker only gave her one year to live.  Her year is up in two more months, and Dr. Baker is almost never wrong.  I am shook out of my thoughts by a knock on Jasmine's door.  We both call for the person to come in at the same time.

      "Selina, are you coming to that meeting?  I need your help with something before we go to the meeting, though." Penelope calls to me with a tone in her voice that lets me know it isn't a question, it's a command.  I shake myself out of my day dream and I nod.  We walk out as I give Jasmine one last caring smile.  She rolls her eyes and shakes her head like she is annoyed with me.  If she is the feeling is mutual!  I hate myself immediately for thinking that.  "How's Nicole adjusting?" I ask Penelope shifting my eyes to meet her eyes.  I take in how tired she looks, I feel guilty; she is working too hard and she needs a day off.  I take mental note to force her to take a day off.  "Nicole isn't adjusting well, that is why I needed your help.  She is now under your care.  Good luck!" Penelope asks me dashing off.  I look shocked.  There never was a meeting.  She just wanted to get me and her alone and she was going to drop her hardest patient off on me!  I take a deep breath and look at Nicole's chart.  She needs a bone marrow test!  I groan internally.  I immediately put on a happy face and act like everything is going to go perfectly!  I take another deep breath before launching myself into the battle zone.

I chuckle at my lame joke before I go in smiling brightly.  "Hi, Nicole.  How are you?  Do you remember me?" I say energetically.  Nicole looks intimidated before saying "I feel awful and I remember you.  You're that overly-perky nurse who started my IV a few days ago."  Her mom looks as shocked as I do.  I finally get over the fact that I was just insulted by a patient.  Things are going to be difficult if Nicole doesn't like me.  "Calm down!  You are fine.  She doesn't have to like me, she just has to trust me." I think.  "You need another bone marrow test, just like the one you got before the diagnosis, so we can see if the treatment is working.  If it's okay with your mom, I will give you a mild sedative through your IV and give you some laughing gas in the operating room." I say looking over at Nicole's mom.  She nods.  "I'll be right back!" I say as I walk out.  I get the sedative and I walk back in smiling contently.  Her mom starts to smile, too.  I'm glad I'm 'overly-perky'.  It makes my job easier to do!  I put medicine in her IV quickly.  "She won't remember most of the procedure.  With the laughing gas, she won't notice what her doctor is doing.  I will be back in 20 minutes to take her to the operating room." I say to Nicole's mom.  What's her name?  I can't remember.  It'll come to me eventually!

When I come back in, Nicole is giggly and relaxed.  I'm glad.  Her mom is enjoying her daughter's goofy state of mind and the fact she will be pain free during the test.  I roll the bed slowly to the operating room.  I help Nicole lay on the table.  Her doctor walks in and gets started immediately.  I give Nicole a mask and I turn on the nitrous oxide.  She is even more giggly.  I chuckle softly.  I'm glad I had this idea.  Nicole doesn't even notice the test being done.  When it's over, Nicole seems sad to go back to her room.  I'm glad there wasn't a meeting to go to.  I'm glad I got assigned Nicole.  It's all in a day of work for me!

I decided to do two chapters showing the point of views of the two main characters.  They are in first person, then I will go back to my usual style.  vote, comment, and follow!!