June 16, 1962

"Jackie! Bill is leaving" Jazmin shook me awake. "Where's the boys?" I asked rubbing my eyes. "They left an hour ago" she responded. I nodded, we headed downstairs.

Bill tosses his luggage into the car trunk. Our mom leans out the driver's window. "I'll be back in an hour, I'm taking your dad to the airport" our mom said. "'Kay, where you goin'?" Asked Scotty still woozy.

"Chicago, on business for a week. Listen, Scott while I'm gone, you're the man of the house. Understand?" Bill said. "Yeah. I guess so" Scotty mumbled holding his forehead.

They quickly drive away, Scott turned around and looked at us dumbfounded. "What did he say. It sounded like, Cage on ness for a weak" Jazmin and I break into a fit of laughter as he continues. "I'm the maid from the house" Scotty said.

We continued laughing, "Does your head hurt?" I asked Scott. He nodded.
We got inside and gave him some medicine.
~~~~~~
Once the guys got over trying to be big shots, they just stuck to what they could handle, and swore off the hard stuff forever.

Benny was up to Bat. DeNunez delivers, Crack! Some sort of magical dust explodes from Benny's bat. The red lacing bursts.

The baseball dermis flays. The
string-wound innards fly into Scott's glove in left center. The guys gather 'round.

"Bitchin" Bertram said under his breath. "Naw, it ain't" Benny said, not taking his gaze off the dermis. "C'mon, Benny, maybe two, three guys in history have ever busted the guts out of a ball." Said Squints trying to make him feel better.

"Must be an Omen" someone said, receiving from the gang. 'Truly. Sure. Absolutely. Yeah-Yeah, Benny. It must be so."

Benny looks at me then at all the gang with an apologetic look. "All' it means is that we can't play no more. It's only noon, and I just blew the whole day for us"

"No you didn't it's the most amazing thing I've ever seen" DeNunez said in awe. "Anybody got any money?" Benny said ignoring DeNunez compliment. No response. "Then it ain't okay, cause' now we can't play no more." Benny continued.

"Yeah, we can". Scotty said, breaking the silence. "What you got nighty eight extra cents just layin' around at home, Smalls?" Benny and I said at the same exact time.

I reacted quickly, "Jinx you owe me a Blueberry muffin" I said with a cheeky smile. "That's not even how it goes" Benny said crossing his arms, I nodded my head smiling.

"No, but I got a ball" Scotty said, interrupting our moment. "Go get it" Sankofa shouts. Scott quickly runs out the sandlot.

"Hey what if we go to that old costume shop, and we dress each other up." Jazmin suggested smirking. I nodded my head, this should be fun. "Nah, girls dress each other. And guys dress each other." Benny said smirking.

"Okay deal" I said shaking hands with Benny. "Oh, but here's the catch we have to go on a date" Yeah-Yeah said.
We all nodded our heads.
~~~~~~
"I got it! Let's play!" Scotty yelled out of breath. He tosses the ball to Benny, who catches it. "Bitchin'. Your ball, your ups" Benny said handing the bat to Scott, heading to right field, leaving Scotty at home plate with Ham behind him.

Benny tosses the ball to DeNunez on his way by. I swig my legs watching the game intently, Jazmin looking at the green fence behind Benny. After Ham tricked Scott into a strike, Boom! He finally hit it.

I see as Benny backpeddles trying to catch the ball, Scotty watches Benny slowing, worrying. The ball drops over the green fiberglass fence.

Scotty stops dead in the base path, I look at Sankofa worried. The gang cheers for Scott's homer. "Nice crack, Smalls" Timmy said. "Decent cut" DeNunez Said. Benny looked at the green fiberglass fence, "It's outta here! Who's got the big bat now, boys!" Benny yelled.