My Mind's Gettin in the Way

I opened the front door & the moment I saw Nick standing there with a pizza box in his hands, I felt fluttering, in my stomach. It was a new feeling, which only irritated me. I inhaled, sharply as I managed a smile, thinking that these feelings I was suddenly having for my best friend was increasing & severely pissing me off. I had to tell him about these feelings. Even if he didn't return the sentiment, I had to get it off my chest. I had to put it into words. I couldn't live with regret if I never said anything. I thought about waiting to tell Nick until we were on tour together, but that wasn't fair to him. I didn't want him to feel ambushed.

A giddy sound came out of my mouth as I let Nick come into the house & he turned to show me his furrowed brow. "With that red jacket & the pizza, you look like a pizza delivery guy." I said, covering up my embarrassment. He laughed, then gave me a peculiar look before he looked around, waiting for me to direct him where I wanted him to go. I motioned with my hand toward the kitchen, then closed the heavy door before I followed him.

"I was thinking on the way over here." Nick said as he sat the pizza box on the counter.

"What's that?" I asked, hoping it was that he wanted me as bad as I wanted him. I watched him get two plates out of the cupboard & yes, my gaze went to his perfect ass. I had known he had a nice ass, but now it was like there was a spotlight on it. 

"You know how I was going to sing, 'Close,' on tour?" Nick asked, his excitement forcing me to look at his face. He took off his jacket & tossed it on a nearby stool.

I nodded at him then got drinks from the fridge. "Yea." I held the two bottles of green tea in my hands, then grabbed some napkins.

"Well, why don't you & I sing it together? You can sing Tove's part. Of course." He smirked as he realized I knew that part.

My heart thumped loudly at the thought of singing with Nick

My heart thumped loudly at the thought of singing with Nick. We had talked, briefly, about singing 'Avalanche,' but we both wanted to get away from that song & concentrate on the new stuff, making the show fresh & unpredictable. I swallowed as I nodded my head. "That would be cool." Was all I could manage to say.

"Great. John loved the idea, too, so I'll let him know you're on board." Nick pulled out his phone to text our creative director. After he was done, he put the plates on the top of the pizza box. His phone chirped so he looked at it, then grinned at me. "It's done. We're doing 'Close' together in our setlist."

"Exciting." I replied, my eyebrows shooting up.

"That sounded sarcastic."

I laughed, nervously. "Sorry, didn't mean for it to come out that way. I'm excited. For real. Hope Tove doesn't mind."

"She's the one who had suggested it to me a few weeks ago, actually. I never thought you'd be okay with it, so I didn't mention it. I kept thinking about it though & when I mentioned it to John he thought you'd be cool since he said you gushed about the song."