Maybe I'm Chasing a Feeling

Nick

I tried to act normal around Demi whenever I was with her, but it was hard to not say things to her. that I'd say if she were my girlfriend. I've always been like that with her, even before I had feelings for her. Once the feelings developed, though, I feel like it got worse, but I didn't reel it in too much. I wanted her to feel good & if I could make her smile, then so be it.

While we were onstage for the Bee Gees concert, together, I couldn't help but watch her. She was so beautiful anyway, but that night, she looked incredibly sexy in gold. I was starting to really love when she wore gold. At the end of the concert, everyone was singing & then I was next to her. My adrenaline was through the roof, at that moment, when I put my arm around her. I was on stage with one of the Gibb brothers, who I grew up listening to & I had my brother on one side of me & Demi, my best friend, on the other side of me. It felt like it couldn't get any better. Well, it could be better, if Demi were my girlfriend, but I was happy she was there, with me, to share that, once in a lifetime, moment.

After the concert was over, I was backstage with my parents, when my mom saw Demi down the hall, coming out of her green room. She grabbed my arm & pulled me. "I need to talk to Demi." Mom said as she walked in Demi's direction.

"What do you need to talk to her about?" I asked, hoping she'd tell me since she hadn't so far.

"You can hear what I tell her."

Mom & I approached Demi, who looked a little scared, if I'm being honest. Mom grabbed Demi to hug her & I smiled down at Demi as she looked up at me, now looking confused. When Mom let go of Demi, she put her hands on Demi's face. "It's so good to see you. I haven't seen you since the tour, last year. You look so good, Demi." Mom gushed, saying exactly what I was thinking.

"Thank you, Denise. It's good to see you."

Mom dropped her hands & her expression turned serious. "There's something I wanted to say to you, but I wanted to say it in person. I could have written you on twitter or Instagram or sent an email, but I wanted to be face to face with you."

"Mom, are you going to embarrass me?" I asked, with a smirk.

Demi looked over at me, a quiet chuckle coming out of her mouth, then Mom lightly smacked my arm. "No. At least, I don't think it will." Mom looked back at Demi, after she rolled her eyes like she was annoyed that I had interrupted her. "Anyway... you've been friends with my sons for a very long time. You're more like family to us. To me, you are like a daughter." Mom said, her voice shaking. I wasn't understanding why she was so emotional, but emotions in girls is something men will probably never understand, completely. I looked at Demi, though & saw her swallow, wondering if she was getting emotional, too. A part of me wanted to slink away, but I was curious as to what my mom was going to say, so I had to stay. Mom took a deep breath before she continued. "Kevin loves you like a daughter, too. We watched you grow up & even though you felt like you let him or both of us down, I hope you know that we are both are so proud of you."

"Thanks Denise. That means a lot to me." I could hear the emotion in Demi's voice, so I put my arm around her, rubbing the top of her arm, hoping it would give her some strength to not break down, since my mom was getting mushy. "I'm so grateful to you & Kevin both. Thank you for everything you've done for me."