But I Can't Say I'm Innocent

Demi

I was happy with Bomba. Or so I thought, anyway. He treated me like a queen & always seemed so proud that I was his girlfriend. He was sweet & considerate of my feelings. He listened when I talked & laughed when I said something funny. My friends seemed to like him. Well, except Nick, but his opinion wasn't one I was concerned with, anymore. I was trying to move on & forget the feelings I had for Nick Jonas.

My holidays were enjoyable, especially since I had a boyfriend. My feelings for Bomba were developing, slowly, but I was glad about that. I didn't want to get too attached, too fast. He was already telling me he loved me, but I hadn't said it to him, yet. I wasn't sure when I would, honestly.

I tried not to miss Nick, but he was one of my best friends, so it was kind of unavoidable. I was used to having him in my life, but since I started dating Bomba, I didn't seem to have time to see him or even think about him, which I was grateful for. I talked to Nick on the phone & we texted once in awhile, but I hadn't laid eyes on him in person, for a few months & I wasn't sure how I'd feel when I did.

I got to the Roc Nation pre Grammy party & walked the red carpet, then when I went inside, I was hit in the face with a Jonas. It wasn't Nick, but a Jonas nonetheless & seeing Joe reminded me of Nick, of course. As soon as I felt Joe's arms around me, I thought of Nick. They hugged the same, which wasn't a bad thing, but it sure was annoying, when you're trying to get over one of them. I was glad they didn't kiss the same or things would have been very awkward.

When I went to take a selfie & Joe leaned in to be in the photo, I felt myself wishing it was Nick, here with me. I hadn't missed him as much as I did, in that moment. I was hanging out with Joe & his band, having fun, but feeling like someone was missing. I knew what was missing. Nick. I knew he was going to be there & I found myself feeling anxious, wondering how I was going to act when I saw him. 

While I was taking selfies with Jinjoo & the rest of DNCE, I heard Nick chuckle. His laugh was one of my favorite sounds in the entire world. The low, quick sound that came from deep within his gut, was always followed by a few more of the same sounds, but they were higher in pitch. I'd know his laugh anywhere & it always made me smile. I turned my head toward the glorious sound & saw Nick was talking with Jay-Z, looking like they were about to share a cigar. 

Minutes later, I walked over to where Nick was standing & tapped his shoulder

Minutes later, I walked over to where Nick was standing & tapped his shoulder. He turned around & almost choked when he smiled. "You didn't see me over there with your brother?" I asked, my head cocked a little, trying to look like I was mad at him.

Nick licked his lips & glanced over my shoulder, then looked into my eyes. "I saw you, but you & my favorite band were having so much fun I didn't want to interrupt. Then Jay asked me if I had another cigar." He reached to hug me with one arm, since his one hand held the cigar & he didn't want to break it or burn me. "How are you, Demi?" He asked, in a quiet voice as he let go of me. I sensed jealousy in his voice when he mentioned me & DNCE having fun, but I was probably mistaken.