3. Dreamcatcher

I wake up to the incessant beeping of my alarm clock on Monday morning making me groan in annoyance as I attempt to drown out the sound by burying my head into my pillows. "Riley" my mom shouts. "You wouldn't wanna be late for your first day would you?"

I reluctantly sit up and reach for my cell phone finding a text from Farkle.

FARKLEY: Have a good first day 😊

RILEY: Let's hope. Miss you!

FARKLEY: Miss u too

I sigh and throw my phone onto the bed before finally pulling back the covers and getting up. I pad over to my closet to find something to wear. I end up finding a white lace dress and I pair it with my cowboy boots. After brushing my hair and my teeth I head downstairs for breakfast. "Morning" I smile as I head straight for the fridge.

"Good morning Riley" my mom smiles as she puts a plate down on the table for me. I get myself a glass of milk and head over to the table, taking a seat. "You excited for today?" my mom asks as she takes her seat beside my dad.

"Nervous actually" I reply honestly as I pick at my breakfast. "What if it's a disaster?"

"Highly doubtful" my dad replies. "It's gonna be great."

"I hope so" I mumble. The rest of breakfast I let my parents carry the conversation and before I know it it's time to leave. My dad and I pile into the car and head off to Austin High. My nerves are at an all time high and I feel like I can't breathe.

"Princess relax. It's gonna be fine" he assures me as we pull up to the school. "Just be yourself and everything will be fine" he smiles as he opens the car door. I take a deep breath and open my own door, stepping out and looking around. The school is bigger than my high school in New York and there are three times the people. My head is spinning and I feel like I may be having a panic attack when all of a sudden I feel a hand on my shoulder.

"Riley hey" Maya says as I turn around to face her. "You okay? You look a little pale."

"I uh" I take another breath. "I'm just beyond nervous right now" I admit with a laugh.

"No need to be nervous" she waves off. "It's just high school. Come with me" she smiles as she hooks her arm through mine and leads me inside. "Welcome to Austin High" she says dramtically making me chuckle. "Here are the basics. We love football, we have awful school spirit, our Mean Girl's name is Missy Bradford and as long as you stick with me, you'll be fine." I look around in a daze. Maybe starting over wasn't such a good idea. "Riley" Maya says, waving her hand in front of my face.

"Huh" I ask making her chuckle.

"Come on" she smiles. "Do you have your schedule?" she asks as we walk down the hall.

"Um yea" I reply, pulling it from my bag. She analyzes it and a smile pulls at her lips.

"We have all the same classes" she announces proudly. "Looks like your stuck with me."

"Looks like it."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

Classes go fine, lunch is nerve-wracking but I survive, gym is absolute hell on earth and by the time thr final bell rings I am more than ready to go home.

When we pull up to the house I spot Lucas working in the yard and my heart beat speeds up at the mere sight of him. It also helps that he's shirtless again. "I'll be inside on a little bit" I tell my dad as I open the car door.

"Riley" he tries to stop me but I hop out and rush over to Lucas.

"City girl" he smiles when he sees me. "How was the first day?"

"Weird" I admit. "Hey what are you doing tonight?"

"Working and then heading home. Why?"

"I need your help with something" I smile.

"Okay. What is it?" he asks curiously, wiping the sweat from his forehead making his muscles flex. My mouth goes dry and I lose my train of thought. "Riles" he calls my attention.

"Huh?" I ask making him chuckle as I lock my eyes back on his emerald ones.

"That thing you need help with?"

"Right" I chuckle, running my fingers through my hair. "Um it's in my room."

"Okay" he shrugs. I smile and motion for him to follow me. "So what do you need me to do?" he asks as we step inside.

"You said you're good with a hammer?"

"Yea" he replies. My family had helped me paint yesterday so my room was officially bathed in sunshine and I absolutely loved it.

"Could you hang this above my bed?" I ask as I hold out my dreamcatcher. My Uncle Eric had bought it for me after Auggie died to help me get a good night's sleep. I had already gone two nights without it and I didn't want to go anymore.

"It's pretty" he compliments, running his fingers over the feathers. "You have nightmares?" he asks curiously, looking up at me.

"It's more of a preventative thing" I reply. "The story" I clarify.

"Riles I'm starting to get a little worried about this story" he admits but I shake my head.

"I'm fine. Really" I assure him. Though he looks skeptical he drops the subject and turns his attention back to the dreamcatcher.

"So above the bed?"

"Please" I reply. He nods and grabs the hammer off my desk along with a nail and quickly hangs up my dreamcatcher.

"Good?" he checks as a smile pulls at my lips and I nod.

"Perfect" I assure him as he sets the hammer back down on the desk. "Thank you."

"Anytime princess" he replies making my eyes widen. "I mean. Shit. I just. I heard your parents calling you that and I just. Sorry."

I can't help but giggle at how flustered he is and I smile. "It's okay. It just took me by surprise."

"So did you" he replies making my eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"What?"

"Took me by surprise. When Earl sold this place I never thought that the family moving in would have a daughter like you" he smiles making my heart flutter.

"Oh" I blush as he takes a step towards me. I raise my eyes so they're locked on his and my breath hitches in my throat. He takes another step and his hand falls to my waist. I let my eyes flutter shut and just when I think he's gonna kiss me.

"Riley" my mom shouts from downstairs making my eyes pop open to find Lucas stepping back from me, his face red. "Hey princess. Dinner is ready. Lucas you're more than welcome to stay."

"I actually need to be getting home. Thank you though."

"Of course" my mom smiles before walking off. I chance a look at Lucas and bite my lip.

"So um. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Yea" he replies. "Goodnight Riley."

"Goodnight Lucas" I reply as he makes his way towards the door. When I hear the front door click shut I fall onto my bed and bury my head in my pillow and scream.

"Riley. Dinner" my mom shouts sternly causing me to moan in annoyance as I sit up and head downstairs.

"There you are" my dad exclaims. "The potatoes were getting cold." I laugh as I take my seat.

"Sorry. Got a little caught up with something."

"Oh?" my mom questions. "Anything important?" she asks as a smile pulls at my lips.

"I hope so" I reply hopefully. "Can you pass the rolls?"