43. Questions

Waking up in my own bed feels weird after spending so many nights with Lucas. The bright yellow paint shines brighter with the morning sun beating down on it and I can hear my parents making breakfast downstairs. It seemed like a normal morning, no one would imagine that behind all the mundane motions were emotions that drove all of us apart. 

I grab my phone and check for any messages but only find one from Maya, telling me that she was excited that I'd finally be coming back to school today. I figured that Lucas must've probably still been asleep so I decide to send him a quick good morning text before climbing out of bed and heading downstairs. 

My parents are both in the kitchen, my mom plating a stack of pancakes while my dad grabs the toppings from the fridge. "Morning" I murmur, crossing my arms over my chest as my body adjusts to the chill outside of my bed. 

My mom looks up at me and smiles. "Good morning sweetheart. How'd you sleep?" she asks conversationally, pushing a plate towards me. I move towards the island and take a seat, grabbing the syrup and pouring it on top of my pancakes. 

"Fine" I shrug. I had tossed and turned a lot until I finally fell asleep around three in the morning. It wasn't the perfect night's sleep that I wanted before going back to school but I was thankful that I got any sleep at all. 

My phone vibrates on the counter beside me and I pick it up, finding a text from Lucas. 

Lucas

Good morning to you too princess. I was thinking of coming to pick you up for school. How do you feel about that?  I miss you xx

A smile tugs at my lips as my fingers dance across the screen. When we first started seeing each other he was always here in the morning; talking to Lucas was a part of my morning routine and now that he wasn't allowed to work here it was as if my entire day was thrown off balance. I needed to see him. 

Riley

I feel like you should already be here. I miss you too xx

"Texting Lucas?" my dad asks, leaning against the counter across from me, holding his cup of coffee between his hands. I nod, looking up from the screen. 

"He's coming to get me" I explain, putting down my phone and taking another bite of my breakfast. My parents share a look, seemingly trying to decide what to say next and I sigh, dropping my fork and folding my hands above my plate. "Ask me whatever you want" I say finally. "It was really never my intention to keep things from you so, if you have questions then just ask."

"Okay" my mom begins. "How is he doing?" she asks worriedly. "Because I remember how you were with Auggie and-." She pauses, pursing her lips in an attempt to compose herself before she breaks down into tears. "And I know how hard it must be for him to lose his only real family" she finishes and I nod.

"He's been better, obviously but he's glad that she's not suffering anymore" I explain simply and she nods in understanding. 

"How serious are you?" my dad asks abruptly and I bite into my bottom lip, taking another bite of my breakfast before responding. I wash my bite down with a sip of milk before finally looking back at my father. 

"We're serious" I admit. "I love him more than I ever thought was possible."

"Have you" my mom stops again. "Have you slept with him?" My dad's face pales and my heart starts pounding in my chest. How exactly could I break this to them lightly? 

"A couple times" I respond softly. 

"Lovely" my dad grumbles, running his hands over his face. "I swear that boy is going to be the death of me."