5. Time

I'm woken up by the sound of tires on gravel and a smile pulls at my lips as I climb out of bed quickly. I pull on a pair of jeans and a red blouse before brushing my hair and teeth. I throw my hair up into a ponytail and call it good enough. I rush down the stairs and yank open the door. Lucas is leaning against his truck with a smirk on his face. "Took you long enough" he teases making me giggle as I make my way over to him.

"Welcome back cowboy" I smile making him chuckle.

"Why thank you city girl" he replies in that southern accent that makes my knees weak. "So. You plannin' on helpin' me today or standing there and lookin' cute?" he asks making my cheeks flush.

"Is the latter an actual option?" I tease making him chuckle as he leans against his truck.

"With you? Always" he smirks making my heart flutter. "I missed you yesterday city girl. How was your night?"

"Well" I smile, hopping up on the bed of his truck letting my legs hang off the end. "Maya is insisting I go to some party on Friday" I tell him causing his eyes to widen.

"A party? You just goin' with Maya?"

"Um yea. Why? You think it's a bad idea?" I hope and pray that he insists that it is and gives me any reason to stay home.

"No, no" he insists. "I just haven't seen Maya take to someone so quick before. She's kinda guarded" he explains.

"It seems to be a theme with the three of us" I chuckle.

"I guess so" he smiles softly, kicking at the gravel. "I any closer to earning that secret?" he asks averting his eyes to the ground.

"Maybe" I smirk, bumping my hip into his. "What about yours?"

"My what?" he questions, bringing his gaze back to me.

"Your secret. Where you go on Tuesdays" I trail off. "Can I just ask one question?"

"Shoot."

"Is there a girl?" I ask bluntly, biting my lip in anticipation of his answer.

"On every day but Tuesdays" he replies, moving my lip from my teeth with his thumb. "No girlfriend" he clarifies.

"Mkay" I reply softly.

"Why do you care Riles?" he teases.

"No reason" I shrug as my alarm goes off telling me that I have to go inside to get ready. "Bye Lucas" I smile as I start to walk towards the house.

"One of these days you won't distract me and you will help me."

"Not likely but keep thinkin' that cowboy" I smirk as I open the door and walk inside.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"So are we on for Friday?" Maya asks as we sit at lunch later that day.

"The party? Yea sure" I shrug, "but I should warn you that I didn't really do the whole party thing at my old school."

"No biggie" she shrugs. "I'll show you the ropes. You like beer?"

"Um" I stutter.

"I take that as a no" she laughs. "Don't worry honey you don't have to drink if you don't want to."

"Okay" I take a deep breath. I was glad that drinking wasn't a requirement because with the secret I was hiding I couldn't afford to be out of control. "I told Lucas."

She chuckles. "Pointless honey. He doesn't do parties."

"Why?"

"I don't really know. I think it has something to do with his parents."

"Oh" I reply. "He seemed pretty happy that we're hanging out."

"I'm sure" she smiles. "He worries."

"I've noticed" I chuckle. "He's sweet."

"And single" she smirks. I blush and duck my head allowing my hair to fall into my face. "Aw, you like him" she exclaims.

"No" I insist though my blush gives me away. "Okay maybe" I admit, "but it's complicated."

"Then uncomplicate it. He's perfect for you."

"We've only known each other a few days."

"Honey it's not about the time it's about the person" she insists with a smile as the bell rings. "Trust me."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"How was school?"

"Oh my gosh" I exclaim, placing my hand over my heart as I step out of the car and see Lucas in the garden.

"Payback" he smirks as I make my way over to him.

"Yea well now we're even" I smile. "My day was quite uneventful as per usual."

"Texas isn't as fast paced as New York."

"I've noticed" I laugh lightly. "What about you cowboy? How was your day?"

"Colorful" he smiles. "I went to the market to pick out seeds" he explains, standing up and rubbing the dirt off his hands as he goes over to a reusable bag and pulls out packets of seeds and hands them to me. "What do you think?"

I juggle them in my hands and giggle, "they're very purple."

"What's wrong with purple?" he asks defensively with a smile pulling at his lips.

"Nothing" I giggle. "It's very pretty" I insist as I hand him back the seeds.

"Thanks beautiful." I blush and kick at the gravel.

"So" I draw out the o. "Maya said that you weren't really into parties. Any particular reason?" I ask curiously.

"Nope" he shrugs. "Just not my thing."

"Oh."

"Oh?" he questions. "Did you think it had something to do with my secret?"

"Maybe" I admit shyly.

"Hm" he hums. Silence falls around us for the first time since we met and I sigh.

"Maybe I should go" I say softly, realizing I may have pushed too far.

"Riles wait" he grabs my wrist.

"I'm sorry" I apologize immediately. "You've been so understanding and I keep pushing. I am so sorry."

"Riley it's okay" he insists. "You're curious. I'm curious about your secret too."

"I will tell you."

"And I'll tell you mine too. In time."

"In time" I agree. I gaze around at the garden and run my fingers through my hair. "So you need help?"

"Oh city girl is actually gonna do some farm work?" he teases making me roll my eyes playfully as I hold my hand out to him.

"Just hand me the shovel."