11. Off

When I wake up the next morning I hear tires on the gravel and a smile pulls at my lips. I climb out of bed and wander over to my window to watch my boyfriend climb out of his truck. He's wearing a pair of jeans but unlike most days, today he's wearing a white tank top and my mouth goes dry looking at his biceps and imagining what his chest must look like. I quickly turn around to my closet and throw it open. I settle on a yellow sundress that I pair with cowboy boots before brushing through my hair and pulling it up into a ponytail. I skip down the steps and head outside but I don't find Lucas immediately. I wander off to the barn and when I get there I see Lucas stacking bales of hay, his muscles rippling as he does. I swallow hard and stare at him.

"Morning sweetheart" he says without looking my way. I'm broken from my trance and smile.

"Good morning" I reply as he turns to face me.

"You okay?" he asks as he walks towards me. "You seem distracted" he adds as a blush rises on my cheeks.

"Me? Distracted? Of course not" I lie making him chuckle. "You uh, you look good today" I clear my throat making a smirk pull at the corners of his lips.

"I look good? What about you and this little dress?" he asks as he grabs my waist and pulls me closer. "You try to distract me don't you Miss Matthews?" he teases as he pushes me against one of the stall doors.

"Absolutely" I whisper as his lips close over mine. I wrap my arms around his neck and try to deepen the kiss when suddenly we hear footsteps. We pull apart and I move towards the horses while Lucas goes back to stacking bales of hay when my mom appears.

"There you are" my mom exclaims. "I've been looking for you. Since when do you get up early?" she asks confused as she crosses her arms over her chest.

"Since we moved here" I reply. "I like helping out" I shrug. "Especially in here with the horses or the garden" I add honestly. She smiles, dropping the subject.

"I'm glad" she replies with a smile. "Oh the reason I'm out here" she laughs. "Your dad isn't going to work today and I don't have time to get you to school. I have to get to the courthouse for a deposition" she explains.

"Are you saying I have the day off?" I ask and my mom nods.

"You do" she confirms. "Don't take it for granted. This won't happen very often" she says. I nod as she walks off and turn to face Lucas.

"Looks like I'm all yours today" I smirk.

"So it seems" he smirks in return making butterflies erupt in my stomach. "Since you're gonna be here all day why don't you go get on some work clothes" he suggests.

"You mean I'll actually have to work?" I pout making him chuckle as my mom drives off.

"I could just sit here and look cute" I suggest. And watch him work.

"Fine" he gives in. "But come here" he smiles as he grabs me by the hips and picks me up. I shreik as he places me on top of a tall stack of haybales making him laugh. "What? Did you think I was gonna drop you?" he asks as he steps back from me.

"What? No" I lie making him laugh.

"Mhm sure" he teases as he leans forward, grabbing my face and pulling my lips to his. He gives me a quick kiss and he gets back to work while I take off my backpack and decide to do a little homework.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Are you hungry?" I ask Lucas around noon. I hadn't even had breakfast this morning thus I was starving.

"A little" he shrugs.

"Good" I smile. "Help me down" I insist. He smiles, abandoning his task and moving towards me to let me down off the hay. When my feet are firmly on the ground I reach up and press a quick kiss to his lips. "Thank you" I smile brightly.