4. Tuesday

The next morning I wake up before my alarm clock. I'm staring up at my ceiling replaying what almost happened last night. I couldn't believe I was actually letting someone get through to me so quickly. It had only been four days but for some reason it felt like I had known Lucas for years. We just clicked in a way that made no sense yet perfect sense all at the same time.

I hear the sound of tires on gravel and I immediately jump out of bed and rush to my window. I watch Lucas climb out of his truck and my heart beat speeds up. I throw my hair up into a messy bun and slip into a pair of yoga pants and a sweatshirt before pulling open my door and sneaking down the stairs. I yank open the door and step outside, walking towards the handsome cowboy. "Morning cowboy" I tease causing him to jump making me giggle.

"Jesus" he exclaims, placing his hand on his chest. "Morning city girl" he smiles.

"Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."

"You sure?" he laughs lightly, wiping his hands on his jeans. "Aren't you supposed to be getting ready for school?" he asks confused.

"It's not even seven yet" I point out. "How long do you think it takes me to get ready?"

"I don't know" he shrugs. "Figuring out how long it takes a girl to get dressed isn't really a pastime of mine" he adds sarcastically.

"Well to answer the question you never asked, it only takes about fifteen minutes."

"Really? Well then city girl" he smirks, "maybe you could help me for a change."

"Yea?" I ask, crossing my arms over my chest. "What's that?" I ask with a smile.

"See that soil?" he asks, pointing to the back of his truck.

"Mhm" I nod.

"Help me bring it over to the garden" he instructs.

"Okay" I smile, following after him. He grabs a bag of soil and hands it to me. The weight takes me by surprise and I almost drop it but Lucas quickly leans down to catch it. Our eyes lock together and our faces are close enough that it wouldn't take much effort to close the distance and kiss him.

"Got it?" he teases.

"Um" I stutter, overwhelmed by his proximity.

"Riley" my mom shouts from the doorway.

"Mom" I say quickly as Lucas takes the soil and I take a few steps back.

"What are you doing?" she asks sweetly, a smirk playing on her lips.

"Nothing. Just uh helping Lucas" I reply.

"That's very nice of you sweetheart but you need to get cleaned up and ready for school."

"Um okay. I'll be inside in a sec" I reply. My mom smiles and heads back in the house while I look back at Lucas.

"You should probably go" he smiles, a blush rising on his cheeks.

"Probably" I sigh. "I'll see you after school."

"Actually um you won't" he says, rubbing his hands together. "I uh have somewhere I gotta be on Tuesday nights."

"Oh" I reply, not bothering to hide my disappointment. "Um okay. Well I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Yea" he nods. "I'll see you tomorrow princess."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

"Riley" Maya shouts as she appears next at my locker that morning.

"Hey Maya" I chuckle as I shut my locker and look at my blonde friend. "What's up?"

"Guess what we're doing on Friday night" she exclaims in excitement while inside I'm already panicking.

"What?" I ask carefully, dreading the answer.

"We are going to a party" she exclaims.

"A party?" I ask, clutching my books to my chest as I feel the air starting to leave my lungs.

"Um yea" she laughs. "Come on, it'll be so much fun! You have to come with" she insists. I really don't want to go and I'm terrified about what'll hapoen if I go but one look at my new friend's face and I know I have no choice in the matter so I force a smile and nod.

"Sounds like fun" I lie making her squeal in delight as she throws her arms around me.

"Yay" she claps. "Now come on, let's get to class bestie" she smiles, linking her arm with mine and leading me down the hall.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

I've quickly realized that nights without Lucas are extremely boring. I'm sitting at my desk trying to focus on my homework but my thoughts keep drifting off to Lucas. I wonder what he did on Tuesday nights. Was he on a date? Did he have another job? There were unlimited possibilities. I grab my phone and find Lucas number and send off a quick text before I can think better of it.

RILEY: Hey

LUCAS: Riles? What's up?

Well he answered me so at least I could rule out another date. Or at least I hoped I could.

RILEY: My night is kinda boring without you

LUCAS: I'll be back tomorrow princess

I want to ask him what he's doing but he's been so understanding about my secret that I know it's not fair to push it.

RILEY: 😊

I put my phone down and turn my attention back to my homework. I figured the faster I got it done, the faster tomorrow would come and the faster tomorrow came the faster I would see Lucas again. I'm almost done when I hear my phone buzz again. I think it's a text from Lucas but it's not.

FARKLEY: How are things going in the country? You ready to come home yet?

I gnaw my bottom lip. As much as I loved New York, the day I lost my brother was the day I stopped considering it my home. All New York holds is memories of the worst thing that ever happened to me. Texas was my fresh start and I actually kinda loved it.

RILEY: The country is amazing but I do miss you

FARKLEY: Make any friends yet?

RILEY: Um a couple....

FARKELY: None are as amazing as me though right?

RILEY: Of course not 😛

FARKELY: Thought so 😛

I laugh and glance at my clock. It was already past eleven.

RILEY: Wish I could stay and chat but this princess is about to turn into a pumpkin if I don't go to bed

FARKELY: The carriage turns into a pumpkin...not Cinderella

RILEY: Whatever 😛

FARKELY: 😂 Goodnight Riley

RILEY: Goodnight Farkle

I put my phone down and wander over to my bed, climbing in and letting my eyes flutter shut as I drift off to sleep.