17. Billy

When Lucas pulls up to the large farmhouse there are people everywhere. The place is swarming with my classmates and the music can be heard all the way from out here. Not to mention it looks like a Halloween express exploded all over the yard.

"You sure you wanna do this?" Lucas asks worriedly. I'm brought back to my first party here, my breakdown and my eventual call to Lucas.

That wasn't going to happen this time, I was with Lucas and I was going to have fun. "I'm sure" I assure him as he shuts off the truck.

"Okay" he takes a deep breath as he pulls open his door and steps out. I follow after him and we meet in the front of the truck, linking hands.

"Riley" Maya exclaims as she runs down the front steps towards us. She had decided to get a ride from her mom since Lucas and I took so long at my place.

"Maya" I exclaim as I release Lucas' hand to pull my friend into an embrace. "Happy Halloween."

"Is it?" she asks worriedly as she steps back from me. "Sweetie what happened?"

I raise my hand and wave off the question. "Not important" I insist. "I do want a drink though. Is there a keg?" I ask making a laugh tumble from her lips.

"I knew there was a reason I loved you" she beams as she grabs my hand. "Come on babe, I gotchu."

"Um Maya-."

"Relax Huckleberry" she insists. "I'll take care of your girl. Go mingle for a bit. I'll bring her back."

Lucas sighs, rubbing his neck. "Please keep an eye on her."

"Hey" I exclaim. "I'm not a child."

"No" he says, stepping towards me and taking my hand from Maya's. "You're my girlfriend and I don't want anything bad to happen to you. These parties get a little nuts. She knows her way around a party" he adds, motioning his head to Maya. "Stay with her. I'll find you in a bit."

I smile, reaching up to peck his lips. "See you later."

~ 💟 ~

"So did you and Lucas party a lot?" I ask Maya as we mingle in the kitchen. I've only had about two sips of my beer and I'm reminded why I hate the stuff. I'm holding it and taking small sips as I talk to her.

"Um" she pauses, biting her lip as she locks her gaze on her red solo cup. "Yea" she shrugs. "I mean there was a time when Lucas and Friday night parties went hand in hand."

"What happened?" I ask curiously as a group of loud voices fill the room. I look up and recognize the leader of the pack, Billy. I haven't seen him since my first weekend here but I know it's him. It's hard to forget the awkward encounter the group of them had at the hardware store.

"Babe you brought a friend" Billy smirks as he approaches us.

"Go away Billy" Maya rolls her eyes as she sips her drink. "Come on honey" she says, grabbing my wrist and pulling me away.

"Hey wait a sec" he says, catching my wrist. "Let's get to know each other a little better baby" he smirks as he pulls me back.

"I'm good" I insist. "Thank you." Maya yanks my arm and I stumble after her but I'm stopped again.

"Hey I just wanna talk babe." I look down at where he's holding my wrist and swallow hard.

I bring my eyes back up to his and yank my arm back. "I don't wanna talk to you. Maya can we go find Lucas?" I ask, turning back to face my friend.

"Lucas?" Billy exclaims. "You know Friar?"

"Yea he's my-."

"Neighbor" Maya cuts in making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Come on honey. Let's go" he insists as she pulls me away, this time successfully. We walk out into the backyard and I spot Lucas immediately, leaning against a tree talking to some guy. I break apart from Maya and rush towards him.