42. Blessing

"Princess please just call us back" my mom sighs, sounding exhausted in the millionth voicemail that she's sent to me in the last few days. "I know you're getting these because otherwise your mailbox would be full by now so please, please just call. We understand if you're not ready to come home but we really need to talk. We love you Riley." 

I save the message and place my phone onto the counter, cradling my head in my hands. I knew it was time for me to go home and face the music but it was the last thing I felt like doing. I was hopeful that things would go well but there was the pessimistic voice in the back of my head that wasn't so sure.

"Couldn't sleep?" Lucas asks, walking into the room wearing nothing but a pair of sweatpants that were hanging deliciously low off his hips. I give him a gentle smile as I lift my gaze to meet his and fold my hands underneath my chin. 

"My mom called again" I explain simply and he nods in understanding. Since the funeral they had started calling at least three times a day and with my return to school coming up soon I was sure they wanted every detail of my plans...not that I had any. I had missed a few days but not enough that it would be impossible to catch up. 

"Are you planning to call her back this time?" he asks curiously, leaning against the countertop and I shrug. I couldn't keep avoiding them but at this point it seemed better to talk face to face rather than through a phone. 

"I think maybe it may be time to go back" I admit in a soft voice and his eyes widen in surprise. "It's just-it seems immature to simply call them. An adult would face their problems head on, they wouldn't hide behind their phone. Besides, it's not like this was some small fight."

He nods. "I understand babe. I'm just worried" he explains. "They haven't exactly been supportive of us and I doubt they'll be crazy about us moving in together next fall."

I chuckle. "They'd probably disown me if they knew we had a pregnancy scare."

He bows his head in laughter, nodding in agreement. "If you're disowned then I'm definitely dead" he replies, lifting his head back up to look at me. "But if you're really going to face them then I want to go with you. You've been there for me all year and it's my turn to return the favor."

"Okay" I agree simply, reaching across the counter and taking his hand in mine. "We'll do this together."

*********************************************************************************************** 

His truck pulls up to the house and I release a shaky breath as I stare at the house in front of us. For a few months this place actually felt like home, something I never thought was possible when I left New York but after Hope's passing something had become crystal clear to me; as cheesy as it sounded, home wasn't a place at all but a person and my home was Lucas. No matter what life threw at us, as long as I had Lucas I knew I'd be okay. "You ready?" he asks, taking my hand in his and giving it a tight squeeze.

I look up to at him and nod. If he weren't here I wasn't sure I'd have the willpower to climb out of the front seat but knowing that he'll be beside me the entire time gives me the courage to open the door and step out onto the gravel of the driveway. My boots crunch on the rocks as we walk up to the door and I squeeze Lucas' hand, reminding myself of his presence.

I raise my hand to knock but the door is thrown open before I get the chance and my mom is standing on the other side with bloodshot eyes and tear-stained cheeks. It's apparent that she hasn't slept in quite awhile and I suddenly feel guilty for putting her through this. "Riley" she gasps. 

"Hi mom" I reply softly, stepping forward. She lets out a strangled sob and throws her arms around me, hugging my against her chest while her hands stroke my long brunette locks. 

"I missed you so much" she sobs into my shoulder. A sympathetic smile tugs at my lips as we pull apart and she reaches out to cup my cheeks in her hands. "Are you staying?"

I bite into my lower lip, thinking over my response. I didn't know what my plans were yet. I was just here to talk and see where it led us. "Why don't we just talk first, okay?" I ask, my voice surprisingly strong and steady. 

She nods, leading us into the house and somehow it feels different. It's as if all the fighting that's happened within the four walls had somehow tainted it. "Your father is in our room. I'll go get him" she says before walking off down the hallway and I let out a deep breath as I wander into the living room. 

"You alright sweetheart?" Lucas asks, following after me but keeping a respectful distance. I look up at him and offer him a genuine smile. 

"I'm okay. It's just weird. It's sorta like how it felt when Aug died" I admit. The loft had felt empty and depressing after my brother's passing without the laughter and light that he had always carried along with him and now this place was tainted too but with anger rather than sadness. 

"Is there anything I can do to make it better?" he asks softly, stepping towards me and grabbing my hand in his. I step closer, closing the distance between us and reach up for a soft kiss. 

"Ehm."

We pull apart to find my mother and father standing before us and Lucas' cheeks turn bright red as he backs away from me. "Hello Mr. Matthews" he says, greeting my father formally. 

"Your mother said you want to talk" my dad says, ignoring my boyfriend and training his gaze solely on me. I nod in confirmation. 

"I wanted to talk about what happened after Hope died."

"You mean when you left with him" my dad snips, cutting a glare towards my boyfriend and I sigh. I had hoped that allowing time to pass before we had this conversation would've helped some of my father's initial anger subside but evidently I was wrong and if he wasn't willing to listen then this was going to be impossible.

"I left with him because he needed me" I argue. "And that's what you do when you love someone" I add causing my mom's eyes to soften as she looks towards Lucas. I knew my mom would be the easy one to win over since she had been in support of us since the beginning but I knew that my dad would need a little more convincing so, I continue. "He's everything to me and I know you don't particularly like him-."

"I don't like him at all" my dad confirms coldly. "I don't like him and I certainly don't like who he's turning you into."

I hold myself together, trying not to snap on him but luckily for me my mom isn't as keen on staying passive in this argument. It was what i had always admired most about my mother. She wasn't afraid to stand up for what she believed she was right even if it meant going against the people she loved. "Cory enough" she snaps, causing my dad's eyes to widen in surprise as he turns his attention to his wife. "Riley is eighteen years old. She's turning into an independent woman who makes her own decisions and doesn't rely on us anymore and I know that's terrifying but it's normal. They're in love and he's not working for us anymore so I really don't see the issue."

"He-he" my father stutters, seemingly unable to come up with a valid argument and my mom's lips quirk into a sympathetic smile as she places her hand on his shoulder. 

"He's perfect for her" she finishes for him. "And we're going to give them our blessing, not out of pity for his loss or anything else but because we want our little girl to be happy. Okay?"

My dad looks towards me and sighs, bowing his head in concession. "Okay" he agrees. My heart swells and I look towards Lucas to see a bright smile forming on his lips. "But there will be rules" he begins, looking between the two of us. "There won't be anymore sneaking around or spending the night with each other."

I bite my tongue, deciding to omit the fact that I'd be moving in with Lucas at the end of the summer and instead embrace this small victory. We had their blessing and for now that was more than enough.