44. Surprises

The Friday before prom is almost too busy to go to school. I had woken up and tried to convince my parents that there was way too much to do today for me to go to school but they insisted that a dance wasn't more important than my education and I really had no room to argue since I had missed so many days already. Still, sometimes I wondered how many more days off I'd be allowed if my dad wasn't a teacher.  

There are about forty-five minutes until I have to leave for school when my phone starts buzzing with a Facetime request from Farkle while I'm in the middle of doing my make-up. I immediately answer the call and his smiling face lights up my screen. "Hey Riley" he greets me, waving enthusiastically. 

"Farkle" I reply with a smile, swirling my make-up brush over the eye shadow color I had picked out. "Aren't you supposed to be in school right now?" I ask teasingly. Since we were in different time zones he was already two hours ahead of me back in New York which meant it was just past ten where he was; too late for school not to be started but too early for lunch. 

"Who says I'm not?" he asks teasingly and I shoot him an amused glance. We both knew better than anyone that he wasn't at school right now; Farkle wouldn't skip class to Facetime. "What about you? Are you going to school on this all-important Friday?" he asks and I sigh, finishing off my eyes and trading my brush for mascara. 

"Unfortunately yes. My parents are making me go even though my uncle is coming into town this afternoon and I'm supposed to be going on a double date tonight. A date which I'm going to have no time to prepare for now." He laughs. 

"The struggle of being Riley Matthews" he teases, smirking at me. "But seriously Riles, is there anyway you could pencil in some time to talk to me real quick? It's important" he says, suddenly turning serious. I finish my eyes and turn my entire attention to him, folding my arms on the vanity. 

"Farkle of course" I reply. We had finally gotten back to a good place in our friendship and I was beyond happy to have him back in my life. I had missed talking to him. "Did you drop out of school?" I ask teasingly, referencing his obvious truancy. He rolls his eyes, shaking his head at me. 

"No, but you're right. I'm not at school today. I'm getting fitted for my tux" he explains and I raise an eyebrow at him. If he said he was getting married I would reach through this screen and kill him myself. "My prom is this weekend too" he continues, regaining my attention. "And I asked someone."

My eyes widen in surprise. I wasn't upset at all but I was certainly shocked to say the least. This entire year he had gone on and on about how he was in love with me and now he was going to prom with some other girl. "Who is she?" I ask confusedly, furrowing my eyebrows; she had to be pretty special to gain his affection so quickly. 

He takes a deep breath, leaning back in his seat. "Do you remember Isadora Smackle?" he asks and I smile. I remembered the black haired beauty well. She always had a crush on Farkle despite the fact that he was helplessly oblivious. She never liked me. 

"Farkle she's perfect for you" I gush. They had similar personalities and looking back, it's clear that she only hated me because of Farkle's feelings for me. 

"Thanks Riley" he replies happily. "And I hope you have a great time with Lucas...assuming he did ask you" he adds teasingly and I laugh, nodding my head. 

"He did and thank you, it really does mean a lot to me Farkle. Have a great time too, okay?" 

"I plan to. I'll talk to you later Riley."

"Later Farkley" I reply sweetly, blowing him a kiss before our phones disconnect. 

***********************************************************************************************