22. Turkey

My Thanksgiving by Riley Matthews

My parents fought.
I missed the parade.
My parents fought.
The turkey burned.
My parents fought.
My boyfriend got handsy.
My parents fought.
Lucas' mother was adored by all.
My parents fought.
Maya and Josh kissed in the barn.
My parents fought.

~ 💟 ~

"Why didn't anyone wake me up?" I complain as I fly down the steps. It was already past eleven o'clock.

"What are you talking about?" Josh asks as he looks up at me in confusion. "Hey" he exclaims as I pluck the remote from his hands.

"The parade is on" I reply, flipping to NBC only to be met with Santa Claus. "No" I whine. "I missed it! I haven't missed this parade since I was four."

"Sorry Riles" Josh says apologetically.

"No I told you that we needed to thaw it last night" my mom shouts at my father.

"Well I obviously didn't hear you" my dad replies. "Just relax. We'll cook it a little longer at a higher temperature and it'll be fine."

"Fine" my mom snaps. "You do it then."

"Fine. I will" my dad replies as my mom storms out of the kitchen.

That explained why no one woke me up.

"Are they ever gonna stop fighting?" I sigh as I toss the remote back to my uncle.

"Eventually" he nods. "It'll be alright kid" he assures me as he switches the station back to Sports Center.

"I'm not a kid" I argue. "I'm the same age as Maya."

"Maya" he smiles. "She coming today?"

"Doesn't that depend on you?" I smirk causing his lips to part as he looks to me in shock.

"Go. Now."

"What?" I laugh. "I'm just teasing. And you're not my parent."

"Mhm but I can't look at you right now after that comment" he laughs.

"Fine" I concede as I stand up. "See you later Uncle Josh."

I give into my uncle's request and venture out to the barn to get some air and surprisingly find my boyfriend there brushing the horses. "What are you doing here?" I ask, a smile pulling at my lips.

"Brushing down the horses before I go pick my mom up from church."

I quirk an eyebrow at him. "Why didn't you go?" I question, moving to lean against the stall beside the one he was in.

He sighs, tossing the brush to the side and exiting the stall. "She's getting worse" he explains softly as he puts the lock in place. "It's getting harder to stay faithful."

I nod in understanding. "You already know my views on that."

"I do" he agrees. "And I feel awful but I can't help that I'm starting to feel the same way. My mom is the best person on the planet and she doesn't deserve this Riles."