20. Friends

"Ehm" my dad clears his throat. My eyes pop open and I realize I had fallen asleep on my boyfriend's shoulder. I look beside me to find the couch empty.

"Daddy" I say quickly as I sit up. "It's not what it looks-."

"Hey. You're finally up" Josh says as he walks into the room and leans against the wall.

"Yea" I yawn as Lucas' eyes flutter open and he stirs beside me.

"Relax bro" Josh smiles, "we were watching a movie and Lucas and Riley fell asleep" he explains.

"Why aren't you working?" he asks Lucas pointedly.

"We're friends" I explain. "I was having a bad day and he came to check on me. I insisted he watch a movie with me and Uncle Josh" I explain. "We just fell asleep."

"That what happened?" my dad asks Josh pointedly and Josh nods without hesitation.

"That's what happened. Her friend Maya came over too" he adds. "She just ended up having to leave right after the movie."

So that was where Maya went. I was wondering. "Lucas" my dad sighs, "I'm glad you've befriended my daughter but I'd like you to work when you're on the clock" he says seriously. Lucas nods as he stands up.

"Of course sir. It won't happen again. I'm sorry I overstepped."

"You didn't" I interject. "My dad is overreacting. If it's that serious he can take your pay out of my allowance."

"Riley-."

"Let me walk you out" I cut my dad off as I stand up and follow Lucas out of the house. I close the front door behind us and sigh as I wrap my arms around myself. "I'm sorry I got you in trouble. You said this would happen."

"It's okay Riles" he insists as we walk towards his truck. "Today was fun. I hope you're feeling a bit better" he adds as he pulls his keys out of his pocket.

"A lot better" I reply as I stop in front of him. "But there is one more thing that might really make me feel better" I smirm making him chuckle as he opens the driver's side door and pulls me towards him. I lean back against the metal and smile as his lips land on mine in a long, deep kiss that sends my head spinning as I wrap my arms around his neck. After a while we finally pull apart breathlessly. "That okay?" he asks making me giggle as I nod my head.

"Beyond okay" I assure him before reaching up for one last kiss. "Hey" I add as he climbs up into the cab of his truck, closing the door behind himself. "What are you and your mom doing for Thanksgiving?"

"Um just chruch. The congregation usually whips up something for my mom and I to eat" he explains.

"Well" I gnaw my bottom lip. "If you want, you could come to dinner. You could even bring your mom. I think she and my mom would get along perfectly."

"Probably" he agrees, "but what about your dad? I think he's ready to murder me."

I chuckle. "Leave my dad to me. You just talk to Hope. Tell her that it would mean the world to me."

"You're using my mom's love for you to your advantage aren't you?" he teases as he puts the key in the ignition.

"Precisely" I laugh. "Now go home and tell your mom I'm sorry for keeping you so long."

"I'll make sure to place all the blame on you princess" he teases as he puts the car in reverse. "See you later beautiful."

"Bye" I wave as he peels out of the driveway and down the street. I let out long sigh before heading back into the house to face my dad. I pull open the door and step inside, immediately met with my dad with his arms crossed over his chest.

"I'm glad you're making friends but-."

"But I can't be friends with boys. Boys who work for us?" I ask specifically. "Dad" I sigh on exasperation, "he works here and he's around my age. Did you really think we wouldn't become friends?"

"It seems to be more than that" he replies bluntly, "and I will not pay him for dating my daughter" he adds making my heart plummet. All hope flying out the window.

"We aren't together" I insist. "We're friends. That's it" I assure him. "Nothing more."

"You better keepnit that way" he says dismissively as he walks off towards his bedroom, slamming the door behind him. I groan in frustration as I stomp up the stairs to my own room, slamming the door shut.

~ 💟 ~

"Riley" my mom knocks lightly later that evening. "Are you coming down for dinner?" she asks and I sigh as I climb off my bed and move towards my door, pulling it open.

"Is dad eating with us?" I ask in irritation.

"No. He told me he was too busy grading to join us" she explains, quirking an eyebrow at me. "You wanna tell me why your father is suddenly so interested in his papers?"

I sigh as I brush past her and head down to the kitchen where Josh is already helping himself to a plate full of spaghetti. "Save some for me" I tease as I grab a plate and begin piling  food onto it.

"Riley you can't ignore the question" my mom sighs as she finally catches up while I'm taking a seat at the dining room table.

"I'm not ignoring it" I argue. "Dad thinks something is going on with me and Lucas. He doesn't want us getting involved while he's working for us. I told him he had nothing to worry about" I explain simply.

My mom and my uncle share an unsure glance and I groan. "There is mothing going on" I insist, needing them to believe me. I couldn't be the reason that Lucas lost his job. He had to support his mom.

"Okay" my mom says simply. "What is he doing for the upcoming holiday?" she asks curiously making a smile pull at my lips.

"Actually it's just him and his mom and I thought maybe it would be nice to have him over. They usually go to service and then eat whatever they can get their hands on" I explain sadly. "I think it would be nice for them to have a formal, family Thanksgiving."

My mom smiles as she nods her head. "I think that's a lovely idea princess. You really are a great friend" she smirks making me roll my eyes playfully as I reach for my water and take a long sip.

"Does Maya have a friend?" Josh asks bluntly making me and my mom burst into laughter.

"I rest my case" my mom smirks after she catches her breath and takes a sip of her water. A blush rises on my cheeks but she smiles as she takes my hand in hers. "Don't worry princess. Your secret is safe with me."