26. Auggie

Waking up the next morning it takes me a bit to realize that I'm not sleeping in my bedroom, under the warm blankets but instead I'm still in the barn lying on the couch with Lucas' arms around my waist.

I knew sleeping here was a bad idea and I knew that being out here without my phone or a clock for that matter was even worse. I had no idea what time it was and I had school today.

"Lucas" I whisper, reaching forward to move a stray hair from his face. "Baby" I try again but he still stays sound asleep. I can't help but wonder if he ever gets sleep when he's not sleeping beside me. From the deep sleep he's seemingly in I would assume he didn't. "Lucas" I whisper a bit more firmly.

"Hmm" he hums, opening his eyes as a smile lights up his face. "Morning princess" he whispers.

"Is it morning?" I giggle. "Do you have your phone?"

"Um yea in my pocket" he yawns, reaching into his back pocket and lighting up the screen. "It's only just past six."

I let out a sigh of relief as I let my head fall against his chest. "Good. I should head inside soon though. If I'm not moving around my room by 6:30 they'll surely come to find me."

"I understand Riles" he smiles softly, smoothing down my hair. "Thank you for staying with me last night."

I pull back to look up at him and reach forward to caress his cheek. "Anytime. Though maybe I'll sneak you into my room again because my back is killing me from this couch" I giggle.

"I'd like that" he replies happily. "I should probably get to work though, you know, make up for missing yesterday."

"Luke I'll explain to my parents what's going on-."

"No" he shakes his head. "Sweetheart you promised you wouldn't tell. I don't want sympathy and I don't want special treatment" he says adamently. I sigh, nodding my head in concession.

"Okay. I won't tell anyone" I promise as I climb off the couch and brush the hay off my pants. "I'll see you later. I love you" I add as I bend down to steal another kiss.

"I love you too princess" he replies as we pull apart. I smile and turn to head out of the barn, towards my house.

I get to the front porch and push open the front door, shutting it softly before turning and-.

"Sleep well?" my mom asks, sitting atop the steps.

My eyes widen and I stop in my tracks. Shit. "Mom" I exclaim. "Um you're up early."

"Hm" she hums. "It's your brother's birthday" she reminds me. "I woke up to get some time to myself and when I walked past your door I realized it was cracked open and imagine my surprise to find your bed empty."

"Mom I can explain. I was in the barn last night and Lucas showed up-."

"Lucas showed up? Why did he show up so late?"

"He had a rough day mom. Hell, he's had a rough life but I can't tell you more because I promised him. I love him mom, I can't break his trust."

She sighs, patting the space beside her. I move towards her soundlessly and fill the empty space. "Sweetheart I know you've been sneaking him in at night" she explains making my lips part in shock. It seemed my mom was far more perceptive than I thought. "Riley I was hoping we'd never have to have this conversation but it seems I'm going to have to ask...are you and Lucas having sex?"

My eyes widen as I stare at my mother in complete and utter shock. "Um" I stutter. "No, no we aren't" I reply honestly. "I mean unless you count third as sex" I add shyly.