34. Unfair

The next morning I wake up with a pounding headache and hopes that yesterday was just a horible dream but I can still taste the alcohol on my tongue and the feeling of Lucas' lips still lingers on mine. I sigh, dropping my head into my hands as I hear a knock on my door.

"Riley?" my dad knocks. I groan as he pushes the door open. I know that whatever it is he's about to say can't be good.

"I'm really not in the mood dad" I argue, staring down at my comforter acting more intrigued by my bedspread than I really am.

"We need to talk about last night" he says as he shuts my door behind himself and I groan even louder as I lift my gaze to meet his.

"I thought I made it clear that I didn't want to talk about it" I grumble. "Can't I just lie here and wallow?" I ask hopefully. He grabs my desk chair and rests his arms over the top.

"Is what Lucas said true? Were you really almost assaulted last night?" he asks causing memories of last night to come back full force practically knocking the wind out of me. I swallow harshly and nod my head. He lets out a deep sigh. "And Lucas saved you?"

I almost laugh at the vagueness of his statement, as if all Lucas did was save me from Billy last night. Before we moved to Texas I was in a black hole and I couldn't seem to find my way out.. until I found the light within Lucas. He saved me from myself, he made me realize that life is the most precious thing in the world and that it's not to be wasted. Lucas Friar saved me in every sense of the word.

Instead of saying any of this instead I nod. He lets out a deep sigh. "I understand how you feel about him and it's obvious that he feels the same way about you and I don't want to be the road block in your way anymore."

My eyes widen as hope lifts within my chest. "But if you begin seeing him again he cannot work here. I will not pay him to date my daughter."

My hope deflates. Under normal circumstances he'd just quit and find another job but Lucas couldn't afford to be out of work that long, he had to be making money. "Do you understand?" he presses and I nod numbly.

"I understand" I whisper as my heart breaks all over again.

~ 💟 ~

"Hey" Lucas smiles softly as he climbs out of his truck and walks over to me with his hands in his pockets. "What's up?" he asks confusedly.

I motion with my head for him to follow me into the barn and take a seat on a bale of hay. "My dad gave ys his blessing this morning" I murmur causing Lucas' eyes to widen as a bright smile pulls at his lips.

"Riley that's incredible! Why do you look so sad? This is everything we always wanted!"

I shake my head, holding back tears as I look up at him. "You have to quit in order for us to date."

His smile deflates as does my heart. "I have to chose between you and the job?"

I shake my head. "No" I reply boldly, "because I'm not giving you a choice."

"Riley-."

"No" I snap. "I will not let you quit this job to be with me. Your mom needs you Lucas, way more than I do."

"Bullshit" he murmurs as he takes my hands in his. "My mom would agree with me on this. Riles her treatment ended-."

"That doesn't mean you aren't drowning in medical bills" I reply defensively. "You have to take care of your mom Luke."

He sighs, shaking his his head as tears stream down his face. "This isn't fair!"

"When is it ever?" laugh at the tragic question. If life were fair everything would be different but this was my reality and unfortunately I had to deal with it.

~ 💟 ~

"I hear Lucas is gonna be back tomorrow" Josh says, appearing in my doorway. "Wanna talk about it?"

I shake my head, biting back tears. "I can't."

He sighs, walking into the room and pulling me in for a hug. "It's gonna be okay kiddo" he murmurs, rubbing soothing circles onto my back.

"His mom is sick" I confess. He nods.

"I know. Maya told me a couple days ago. Why haven't you told Cory?" he asks confused. "I'm sure it would change his mind-."

"I shouldn't have to guilt trip my father into allowing me to date the boy who works in the barn" I reply in frustration. "I'm not going to use Hope's illness for my gain."

"Have you talked to his mom about any of this? Maya made it seem like the two of you were close."

I nod. "We are close but I can't ask her because I know what she'd say. The woman is more selfless than Lucas and I combined" I chuckle, wiping at my tears. "I have to put what I want aside" I add decisively, sniffling my nose. "Lucas will be back to work and that's all that matters."

"And you really think you'll be able to deal with him being here all the time?" he asks skeptically and I shrug, releasing a deep breath.

"I'll have to be."