31. Grinch

Christmas mornings used to be joyous and happy...until the day we lost my brother. Now, Christmas is just another day that we spend dwelling on the gap that Auggie's passing has left. Not to mention the fact that my dad isn't speaking to me at the moment.

"Morning" I murmur as I walk into the kitchen. My mom offers me a smile while my dad doesn't bother to look up from his phone.

"Merry Christmas princess" my mom says sweelty as she slides a mug of hot chocolate across the counter. "How'd you sleep?"

I shrug, lifting my mug to my lips. "Fine. When are we exchanging gifts?" I ask curiously, looking towards my father. When my brother was alive we'd wake up and tear upon our gifts as soon as possible but now it was almost a chore to have to gather around the tree and act like any gift could make today any less depressing.

"Once the family gets here" he explains simply. I nod in understanding as his phone suddenly begins to ring and he grabs it and dashes out of the room.

I quirk an eyebrow at him and turn my attention towards my mother. "What is that all about?"

My mom shrugs. "Who knows." Silence falls around us for a brief moment as she scoots closer to me and lowers her head. "Is Lucas coming?"

A soft smile pulls at my lips as I nod. I was terrified of my boyfriend joining us this evening but I wasn't going to revoke his invitation.

"Well good" my mom replies. "Have I mentioned I like him?" she asks as she stands up, kisses the top of my head and walks out of the room leaving me alone.

I sigh, glancing down at my phone for the first time since I woke up and find a text from Farkle.

FARKLEY: Merry Christmas ❤💚

I smile, typing him a quick response as footsteps pound down the stairs. "Hey kiddo" Josh greets me as he swings around the banister and makes his way to the kitchen. "Merry Christmas."

"Thanks" I reply politely. "Are you seeing your girlfriend today?" I ask curiously and he shrugs.

"Probably." I nod, lifting my mug to my lips before leaning back in my seat. He quirks an eyebrow at me. "What about Lucas? Are things okay?" he asks skeptically.

I nod. "Things are fine. I mean they aren't great."

His lips tug into a frown. "I'm sorry kiddo. I know how much you like him."

I scoff. "If I simply liked him this wouldn't be such a problem. I love him" I murmur.

He gives me a sympathetic smile as my dad walks back into the room with a smile glued to his face. "Who is ready for the best Christmas ever?"

~ 💟 ~

The first people to arrive are my grandparents who immediately pull me in for a big hug and insist to know everything about my new life down here in Texas. I spend about an hour drowning on until finally the perfect excuse to leave the conversation walks through the door.

"Ah" I yelp, startling my grandmother as I jump up and run towards my boyfriend. "Hi" I squeal, throwing my arms around him. He chuckles, hugging me back tightly.

"Hey beautiful" he whispers before letting me go and putting an appropriate amount of distance between us.

"Merry Christmas Riley" his mother interjects. I look over at her and offer her a soft smile.

"Thank you Hope" I reply sweetly. "I'm really glad you both could make it."

"Of course" Lucas replies, taking my hand in his for a brief moment. "Can we uh talk for a second?"