13. Football

Friday. The best day of the week. I'm beyond excited that this long week is about to be over. I wander down the steps while throwing my hair up and gaze out the window watching my boyfriend out in the garden. I smile, walking into the kitchen. "Morning mom" I smile brightly.

"Morning princess" she replies. "You're up late" she observes as I pull open the fridge.

"I was tired" I reply honestly. I was emotionally drained from this week and I figured since I got so much extra time with Lucas earlier this week he wouldn't mind if I slept in. I grab a yogurt cup and two bottles of Calypso lemonade. "Do you mind if I go sot outside with Lucas?" My mom smiles, looking up at me.

"You two have become close haven't you?"

Well he's had his tongue in my mouth so....

"Kinda" I shrug. "He's sweet and it's not like I have many friends here" I add honestly. I absolutely adored Maya but her and Lucas were my only friends so I filled every moment with one or the other.

"It's okay" my mom smiles. "I'm just glad you're making friends" she adds happily.

"Me too" I reply genuinely. I take a quick look around and look back at me mom curiously. "Um is daddy taking me to school today?"

"I'm taking you" she says. "We'll leave in a bit. I'll come out to get you." I nod and head out to the yard. When I reach the garden he's pulling a weed out of the ground and I smirk.

"Nice jeans babe" I compliment. He quickly stands up and chuckles as he turns to face me.

"Morning sleepyhead" he replies sweetly.

"Sorry" I apologize as I toss a lemonade to him before leaning my elbows on the fence that seperates us. "This week has been draining."

"No, no" he shakes his head. "It's okay" he assures me. "I just missed driving up and seeing your beautiful face" he adds making me smile. "How are you getting to school?" he asks, twisting the top of his lemonade and taking a long sip.

"My mom" I sigh. "I wish my dad would go and see someone" I admit. "He needs to get through this and sitting in his room isn't gonna accomplish anything."

"He's healing in his own way" Lucas shrugs. "Grief is weird" he adds seriously. I nod in agreement, looking up at the clear, blue sky.

"I just wish I understood why it happened" I admit sadly. "He was just a kid" I shake my head. "It's not fair."

"Life sucks" Lucas agrees, placing his hand over mine.

"How's your mom?" I ask curiously, opening my yogurt and licking the lid.

"The latest test results are indicating that treatment isn't working" he sighs, shaking his head. "They're talking about ending it" he explains making my eyes widen in shock.

"Lucas I am so sorry" I say softly, placing my hand over his.

"It's okay" he forces a smile, squeezing my hand. "We both got dealt shitty hands" he sighs, taking a deep breath. "Maybe that's why we were brought together" he adds making a smile pull at my lips. "To heal each other's hearts."

I gnaw my bottom lip and nod. "Maybe" I agree as my mom's voice bellows from the front porch. I sigh stepping back from the fence. "That's my cue" I say sadly. "You gonna be here after school?"

"No" he says, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion. "Are you?" he gapes at me. I look at him bewildered.

"Why wouldn't I?" He simply laughs and shakes his head.

"Trust me princess. You're gonna be busy tonight" he says making me even more confused.

"Riley let's go" my mom shouts. I take one last confused look at my boyfriend before sighing and heading off to join my mother.