15. Apples

The closer and closer the holiday season gets the worse school seems to get. I wasn't one of those people who hated school, not at all but when your hot cowboy boyfriend worked at your house going to school paled in comparison.

"Morning" I smile as I sneak up behind my boyfriend. He almost slips off the ladder he was perched upon, picking apples from the trees lining the edge of the property.

"Jesus Riles. You scared me" he chuckles as he climbs down the ladder with an apple in hand. He brushes it on his shirt before holding it out for me to take. A smile pulls at my lips as I pluck it from his hand.

"Thank you" I reply graciously. "You should take a few home to your mom" I suggest. "It's not like my parents count them."

He shakes his head, "I wouldn't want them to think I'm stealing" he argues. "Thank you for the offer though beautiful" he says. I want to argue but I knew there's no point.

"Okay" I drop the subject as I look up at the trees. "Is this what you're doing all day?" I ask curiously.

"Um" he thinks as he looks around at the expansive land surrounding us. "I gotta take care of the horses but other than that" he shrugs before his eyes brighten. "Oh but I was thinking about planting some pumpkins. There aren't any planted and I think it would be neat to have your own next year" he says. I nod in agreement.

"Do you have to rush home tonight?" I ask, desperately hoping he doesn't.

He smiles, grabbing my waist and pulling me against him. "I think I could stick around to plant some pumpkins with my girl" he says making my heart flutter as a horn honks causing us to pull apart. I look up and find Maya pulling into my driveway. While my dad was back on his feet I've quickly discovered that showing up in the passenger seat of your dad's car was a lot less cool than showing up with your friends. Or friend in my case.

"I'll see you after school" I smile as I close the distance between us and peck his lips.

"I'll see you later beautiful" he smiles as he lets me go. I move to climb into Maya's car, shooting Lucas a smile and a wave as we pull out onto the road.

"You guys are so nauseating" she teases. I roll my eyes at her as a smile pulls at my lips.

"I think I'm okay with that" I reply as I take a bite of my apple as my phone buzzes. I down at the screen and find a text from Farkle.

FARKLEY: Have i told u lately how much it sucks that well be about for our friendiversary???

My heart drops as I look down at my apple. Oh no. Farkle and I made a pact that we wouldn't eat apples in October until Halloween as a part of celebrating the day we became friends. He saved me from drowning in a tub of apples.

"Something wrong?" Maya laughs lightly as she looks over to me staring at my apple like a worm just climbed out.

"Um. No" I insist as I take a deep breath. It was okay. I could have one apple. It wouldn't be the end of the world and he'd never find out. No harm no foul.

"Okay" she chuckles as we pull up to school. She looks up at the large building and sighs. "Another day."

"Another day" I agree as I follow her out of the car, taking a large bite of my red delicious apple as we go.

~ 💟 ~

"Have you heard?" Maya exclaims as she sidles up to my locker after school. My apple eating has weighed on me all day as silly as it sounds and school is becoming torturously long.

"Heard what?" I question in confusion as I look at my friend intrigued.

"The party" she replies. "It's on Halloween. You have to come" she exclaims. My heart drops. I had a Skype date planned with Farkle.

"Um" I stutter as I close my locker and focus my attention on the ground. "I um."

"What? Have a hot date with Huckleberry?" she teases. My silence surprises her and she quirks an eyebrow at me. "Oh my god who is he?" she demands. I shake my head as I bring my gaze back to her.

"It's not like that" I assure her. "It's just that I have a Skype date with a friend back home."

"Farkle" she guesses and I nod. She sighs, biting her lip.

"I guess I could see if I could reschedule."

"No, no" she insists. "Come on Riles" she smiles, nudging my shoulder. "There has to be a way to do both." I think it over and realize she's right. The party probably started after ten and I could already be done with my Skype date by then. I could do both. A smile tugs at my lips as I nod.

"Count me in."

~ 💟 ~

"Thanks for the ride" I shout to Maya as I close my door and skip down the driveway. I spot my boyfriend bent over in the garden pulling up weeds and a smile pulls at my lips as I wander over to him.

"Hi" I exclaim causing him to jump for the second time today.

"Jesus Riley" he exclaims as he stands up to look at me. A smile pulls at his lips. "How was school?"

"Good" I reply with a shrug. I take a breath and shake my head. "Actually that's a lie. It was really boring" I admit making him laugh.

"I appreciate the honesty" he smiles. "Anything happen in particular?" I shake my head but then again I think better of it.

"I'm worried about my friendship with Farkle. The anniversary of our friendship is coming up and it just has me feeling bad" I shrug. My boyfriend's lip turn to a frown as he looks at my sad expression.

"You shouldn't" he insists. "Different time zones are difficult to naviagte and there's a lot more going on. Maybe you're just growing apart. I know that's not what you want to hear but-."

"Thank you" I reply seriously. He furrows his eyebrows at me in confusion.

"For what?"

"Being honest" I smile as I walk towards him. "I'm so used to everyone walking on eggshells around me. I'm not used to the blunt approach."

"Well" he shrugs. "You and I are the same in that respect." I nod in understanding as I gaze around the garden at the empty space.

"Do you maybe wanna go to a party with me on Halloween?" I ask hopefully. I look up to see Lucas trying to fight a smile as he nods.

"I'd love to" he smiles, "but only if you help me plant these pumpkins" he adds. "I do have to get home soon." I nod in understanding, helping him with the pumpkins. Once they're planted he gets ready to leave but excuses himself to the bathroom before he goes. I sneak a bag of apples into the backseat and a kiss on his lips before waving goodbye.