8. Church

I wake up on Sunday excited to see Lucas before I remember that he doesn't come over because of church. So instead of jumping out of bed I stay beneath the covers and decide to watch some television. I'm halfway through an episode of Heartland when my phone dings. I hope it's Lucas but alas it's only Farkle. I haven't talked to him since the party on Friday and I figure I should reach out to him at some point. He was my best friend. I sigh and answer the phone. "Riley" he exclaims. "You picked up."

"Yep" I sigh, sitting up and running my fingers through my hair. "What's up?"

"Nothing really. I've been worried about you. What happened at that party on Friday?"

"What do you think happened? I stayed for like twenty minutes. It was nothing."

"I didn't mean to upset you. I was just so confused. It seemed so unlike you. When you left you were finally starting to act like Riley again. I don't want that change."

"Farkle-."

"Riley, Lucas is downstairs" my mom tells me, appearing in my doorway.

"What?"

"Yea. Should I send him up?"

"No I'll be down in a sec" I reply as she walks away. "Sorry Farkle I-."

"Who's Lucas?" he asks bluntly.

"A friend" I reply immediately. "Farkle I gotta go. I'll see you later."

"Riley."

"I'll call you later" I repeat, hanging up and climbing out of bed. I throw on a sweatshirt and rush down the steps. I turn and find Lucas sitting on the couch. "What are you doing here?"

"Howdy" he smirks, standing up and walking over to me.

"Howdy" I giggle. "What are you doing here cowboy? Don't you have church this morning?"

"I do" he nods, sticking his hands in his pockets. "But uh, I usually go with my ma but she um she isn't accompanying me this morning and I was wondering if you'd like to."

"Go to church with you?"

"I know it's kinda weird but uh."

"No, no" I insist, a smile pulling at my lips. "I would love that."

"You sure?"

"Completely. Just give me like ten minutes."

"Okay" he smiles. I sprint back up the stairs and throw open my closet. I grab a dark blue dress with a pleated skirt and a sweetheart neckline. I clasp a silver cross necklice around my neck and slip into a pair of black flats. I brush out my hair and leave it hanging straight around my shoulders. I leave my face natural and decide I look presentable enough. I grab my purse and skip back down the stairs. "Woah."

"What?" I giggle.

"You look beautiful" he replies sweetly, holding his hand out for me to take. "You ready to go?"

"Mhm" I nod, taking his hand and following him out the door. He helps me up before climbing in on the other side and starting the truck. We've been driving for about five minutes when he begins to speak.

"I wanna tell you my secret" he confesses making my head turn to look at him.

"You do?"

"I trust you and I think you might literally be the only other person in the world who can understand what I'm going through."

"Okay" I say softly, bracing myself. "What is it?"

"My mom is sick" he confesses making me furrow my eyebrows in confusion.