38. Goodbye

I hate hospitals. Ever since we lost Auggie hospitals only serve as reminders of what I lost and being here to help Lucas say goodbye to his mom was only going to add to that. I take a deep breath as we walk inside and Lucas must notice my uneasy look because his hand clasps with mine comfortingly. "You don't have to stay" he reminds me gently.

I shake my head. "I'm okay" I assure him. "It just brings back some bad memories."

He nods in understanding and the two of us head towards the elevator bank. He presses the up button and we wait for it to reach our floor. The doors part and the two of us step onto the elevator. Lucas presses the button for the third floor and the two of us begin the ride to the top in silence. It takes what feels like forever for us to reach the correct floor but finally the doors open and we take a left to get towards Hope's room.

As we reach her room I tug on his hand to stop him and bring my lip between my teeth. "Should I wait out here?" I ask softly. I wanted to be there for him but I also didn't want to overstep. This was his chance to say goodbye and the last thing I wanted to do was impose.

He squeezes my hand but shakes his head. "If you feel comfortable you can come in" he says. I look towards the room and inhale deeply. I wanted to be there for Lucas but I had to admit that this was going to be hard. Not only did it bring back memories of losing my brother but I adored Hope and it was heartbreaking that this was happening to such an incredible person.

"Okay" I agree. He gives me a soft smile and the two of us walk into the room slowly finding his mom smiling when she spots us together.

"Ah Lukey, you took my advice I see" she says and I can't help but chuckle as my boyfriend's cheeks turn bright red.

"I did" he confirms as he pulls up a chair for me before he takes a seat on the bed. "How're you doing mom?" he asks softly.

She sighs. "I've been better but seeing the two of you together is a sight for sore eyes." She looks towards me and reaches her hand out to take mine. "I'm just glad I got to see the two of you together one last time" she says softly and I watch as Lucas' face pales.

I force a smile onto my face for Hope's sake and nod. "I'm glad I got to come see you." The thought crosses my mind that had Lucas and I not made up she would've passed without me being able to say goodbye. I couldn't go through that grief again, not being able to say goodbye to someone you love leaves a gaping hole that can never be replaced.

"I'm glad too" she agrees. "But enough about me, I do hope my doctor's call didn't interrupt anything" she says, a smirk on her face. I giggle uncomfortably while Lucas' pale face turns red once again. "It's a shame I won't be able to meet my grandchildren one day" she sighs. "Promise me Riley that you'll tell them all about me and make Lukey take millions of pictures."

I stare at her speechless. As much as I loved Lucas it seemed crazy that one day he could become my husband and furthermore the father of my children. The thought excites me while the reality of them growing up without a grandmother causes my mood to plummet. "Mom it's a little early to be discussing our future children don't you think?" Lucas asks but his mother simply shrugs.

"Never too early to plan your future Lukey besides you can't let the girl of your dreams get away can you?" she asks and I chuckle while Lucas hops off her bed.

"On that note I think I'm going to go get a coffee. Babe you want anything?" he asks me but I shake my head. "Okay" he murmurs, kissing the top of my head before walking out of the room, leaving Hope and me alone.

"I was hoping he'd give us a moment alone" Hope says. "May I talk boldly for a moment my dear?"

I laugh. "Of course."