24. Struggles

I wake up wrapped in Lucas' arms on Friday for the fourth morning in a row. I let out a deep sigh of contentment as I reach forward and push his hair back out of his eyes causing him to wake up.

"Morning" he mumbles, pulling me closer without opening his eyes.

"Good morning" I reply softly. "You know you gotta get up baby. My dad will freak if-."

"If he catches us" Lucas fills in, opening his eyes. His sparkling emerald orbs stare back at me and my heart melts. "I know princess. You'ce given me the speech every morning this week."

"I know" I nod. I hated that I had to keep Lucas and I's relationship a secret from my father but I guess being able to tell my mom about us was about as big of a win as I was gonna get. "I hate that we have to sneak around but-."

"You don't want me to get fired. Sweetheart we've been over this" he chuckles. "I understand. I'm going" he adds without making a single movement that would imply that he was attempting to climb out of my bed.

"Oh yea you really look like you are" I giggle, leaning forward and pressing my lips to his as a knock sounds on my door.

"Riley we're leaving in ten minutes" my dad says sternly before I hear his footsteps echo on the hardwood floor as he walks downstairs.

I groan, pulling away from my boyfriend. "I have to get ready and you need to get out to the barn."

"Yea I'm going" he sighs, sitting up and climbing off my bed. "Have a good day alright?"

"I will" I assure him. "Take care of the horses" I add making a smile tug at his lips as he throws open my window.

"Love you" he says, stopping with one foot in my room and the other outside.

"I love you too" I reply before he finally climbs out and starts heading to the barn.

"Five minutes" my dad yells from downstairs. I groan, moving towards my closet and throwing it open to find something I could throw together.

I decide on a simple white lace dress with a box neckline that I pair with my cowboy boots and a gold necklace with a single A hanging from the chain.

I skip down the steps and grab a pop tart out of the cabinet as my dad walks in, fixing his tie. "You ready to go?"

"Yea" I reply shortly. The two of us walk to the car and climb in, heading off to school in an uncomfortable silence.

"Lucas seems to be getting here pretty early these days" he says accusingly making me roll my eyes.

"He's going through a lot. Being on the ranch helps."

"The ranch huh?" my dad questions. "Because at Thanksgiving it seemed that you were helping him in ways the ranch cannot."

I furrow my eyebrows at him. "Are you accusing me of something?"

"I'm simply asking if you directly disobeyed me and are involved with this boy."

I scoff, shaking my head in disbelief. "I cannot believe this. You can cheat on mom but I can't have nice guy friend."

"Cheat on your mom?" he questions as he pulls up to the school. "Riley I would never do that" he insists. He sighs, resting his hands on the steering wheel. "Look, we've been fighting but we're going to make it through this Riley. I promise."

I allow a soft smile and a bit of hope to seep in as I nod. "Okay. I hope you're right" I add before grabbing the handle of the door and stepping out of the car.

~ 💟 ~

"Have you heard? I think I'm going to invite your uncle" Maya gushes as she suddenly appears at my locker.

I chuckle, quirking an inquisitive eyebrow at her. "Peaches what are you talking about?"

"What am I talking about? The winter formal" she exclaims. "It's like the event. It's bigger than like everything" she explains making me chuckle.

"Well if it's bigger than everything-."

"Stop making fun" she whines. "We are going and you are going to ask Lucas so that we can double."

I bring my bottom lip between my teeth worriedly. "Maya I don't know. Lucas is going through a lot right now."

"Exactly" she exclaims. "This is just the thing to get his mind off everything. Riley I promise, I've known Huckleberry for years. This is the best idea ever!"

I knew I should trust Maya; like she said, she's known Lucas a lot longer than I have but I can't help bit doubt that asking him is a good idea.

I reach up and tug on my necklace. Hopefully the right decision would become clear but right now I had no idea what I was going to do.

~ 💟 ~

"You alright?" my mom asks worriedly while I move my food aimlessly around on my plate.

"Hm?" I hum, lifting my head. "Oh yea I'm fine" I assure her. "I just have a lot on my mind."

"Anything you wanna talk about?" she asks but again I shake my head.

"No. Can I just be excused?" I ask hopefully. My parents share a look and it's enough to make me wish they were fighting again tonight instead of oddly getting along.

"You can go" my dad gives. I let out a thankful sigh as I stand up and head to my room.

I didn't know what to do. I needed advice but everyone I knew I could talk to would have some sort of bias.

I plop down onto my bed as my phone rings. I reach into my pocket to grab it and I'm surprised when I see Farkle's name on the screen. "Hello" I answer.

"You never called me back so I'm calling you."

"How mature of you" I reply sarcastically. "Farkle look, I'm not really in the mood so-."

"What's wrong?" he asks worriedly. "Did the cowboy screw up?"

I roll my eyes, locking my gaze on my ceiling. "No" I protest. "Lucas is fine and so is our relationship. Farkle I am so sick of fighting with you about him."

"Yea? Well I'm sick of hearing about him! You've known him for what? A few months and you act as if him and this girl have impacted you so much."

"Because they have! They saved my life Farkle."

He scoffs. "Really? So what exactly did I do all those nights when you wouldn't stop crying? Did that mean nothing to you."

"No of course it meant something but-."

"But you have a cowboy who you cry to now. A cowboy who I'm sure gets much more than a kiss on the cheek as a reward."

"You know what?" I exclaim. "I'm so sick of you making me feel like shit for fitting in down here and making friends. I didn't expect to fall so deeply in love with this city or the people in it but I did and I just want you to be happy for me! Why can't you be happy for me?"

"Because" he sighs. "I just can't. I'm sorry you're having a rough day but I'm sure it will all work out. I'll talk to you later Riley."

"Yea later" I agree before hanging up and tossing my phone down onto my bed in frustration.

"You still sure you don't wanna talk?" my mom asks, standing in my doorway.

I sit up and shake my head causing a sad smile to pull at her lips as she moves towards me and takes a seat on the bed beside me. "It'll be okay Riley" she assures me. "I'm right here."