10. Texting

The next morning I wake up before my alarm and quickly hop in the shower before slipping into a dark red t-shirt dress. I pair it with a pair of black flats and leave my hair loose around my shoulders. I sneak down the stairs and just as I pull open the door Lucas pulls up in his truck and my heart skips a beat. "You're up early today" he chuckles as he hops out of his truck and walks around it.

"Well you won't be here tonight" I point out as I wander towards him. "Good morning" I smile as I wrap my arms around his neck.

"Morning city girl" he replies sweetly as he leans down to kiss me. "So" he smiles as we pull apart. "You wanna help me brush down some horses?"

"Brushing horses?" I exclaim. "Oh my gosh yes." He chuckles and takes my hand in his as we head over to the barn. "Have you riden one yet?" he asks as he hands me a brush.

"Um no" I shake my head. "I'd fall. I'm kinda a klutz."

"I bet you'd be fine if you had a good teacher" he argues with a smile. "Maybe I could take you riding sometime. I'm telling you, you'd absolutely love it."

"I don't know" I sigh, beginning to brush the horse.

"Start with finding a horse that you like. You need to feel a connection with it. When you trust the horse riding will become easy."

"You ever think about giving lessons?"

"You tryin' to get rid of me" he asks playfully.

"Of course not" I shake my head as I abandon my task and walk over to him. "I am definitely not."

"Good" he smiles, grabbing my brush and throwing it onto the ground. He grabs my waist and pushes me against the wall, crashing his lips onto mine. I gasp as his lips close over mine, his tongue slipping into my mouth. I wrap my arms around his neck, tugging on his hair eliciting a moan from the back of his throat.

"Woah. What did I miss?" Lucas and I pull apart and come face to face with Maya. A blush rises on my cheeks and a laugh bubbles out of me.

"Yesterday. And I'm recommending a lock for this barn" Lucas says as he lets me go.

"It has one" I remind him as I walk towards Maya. "I was planning on telling you today" I let her know. "I wasn't trying to keep it from you."

"No biggie honey" she shrugs. "I'm just glad Huckleberry finally has a girlfriend I can tolerate."

"What are you doing here?" Lucas asks confused.

"I was gonna drive Riley to school but uh she seems a little busy."

"No we should go. I'll see you tomorrow babe."

"Have a good day sweetheart" he smiles, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards him.

"You too" I reply. I peck his lips and turn to Maya. "You ready to go?"

"Ready" she confirms. I link my arm with hers and follow her to her car. When we climb in and she starts it up the radio immediately kicks on and Five More Minutes by Scotty McCreery begins to play. "Sorry" she apologizes as she turns it down. "I like to listen to music in the morning."

"It's fine" I shrug as we start the drive towards school.

"So" Maya smirks, "you and Huckleberry huh." I blush and avert my gaze to the bottom of the car.

"It just sorta happened" I admit. "Trust me, a boyfriend was the last thing I was expecting to find when I moved here."

"Why is that?" she asks confused. "Bad breakup back home?" I raise my head and shake it in disagreement.