18. Together

In the days after the Halloween party there's an obvious shift in every aspect of my life. Suddenly my relationship with Lucas had become serious, Farkle was ignoring my every text and call, and at school Billy seemed to always be watching me.

I could feel myself beginning to shut down again and it scared me. When my brother died I was a wreck and with each part of my life slowly falling apart I felt myself doing the same. It's Sunday morning and I'm staring out my window wishing it was tomorrow so I could see him. It was scary to think that I had given myself over to someone so quickly but I was falling for him and knowing that he loved me caused happiness to radiate through me.

I glance over at my nightstand and walk over to retrieve my phone, pulling up Lucas' number and dialing.

"Princess" he greets me. "What's going on? You're usually channeling Sleeping Beauty on the weekends" he teases me making me giggle.

"I haven't been sleeping much lately" I admit. "I miss you."

"I miss you too sweetheart. I'm on my way to church right now. My mom wasn't up for it this morning. You want me to swing by and pick you up?" A smile tugs at my lips.

"I'd love that" I smile.

"Good. I'll be there in like three minutes" he says. We hang up and I quickly change into a white dress with a sweetheart neckline that falls to midthigh. I slip into a pair of boots and rush down the steps.

"Where are you going?" my dad asks as I step out onto the porch. The best part about Texas was that even in November you could wear dresses and enjoy your morning coffee on the porch without freezing your rear end off.

"Church. Lucas is picking me up" I smile as I lean over to peck his cheek.

"Have fun" he smiles as Lucas' truck pulls into the drive. I skip down the porch steps and rush over to the truck, climbing up.

"Morning" he smiles brightly. "You look beautiful sweetheart" he compliments as he pulls out of the driveway.

"Thank you" I blush as I play with the material of my dress. "So what's going on with your mom?" I ask worriedly.

He sighs. "She's just tired. She's worn out and the last thing I wanna do is force her out of the house."

"I understand" I nod. The ride to the church is short and when we pull up he puts the truck in park but doesn't make a move to climb out. I bring my gaze to his in curiosity. "Something wrong?"

"Why haven't you been sleeping?" he asks curiously. I furrow my eyebrows while I continue to look at my boyfriend.

"I'm just stressed" I shrug. "It's nothing you need to worry about" I assure him as I reach for his hand.

"You're sure?" he asks, rubbing his thumb over my hand.

"Of course I am" I reply in disbelief. Why would he think he had anything to do with my sleepless nights? "Lucas what's going on in that pretty head of yours?" I tease making him chuckle.

He squeezes my hand before tugging me closer and reaching down for a short kiss. I smile against his lips while they move gently against mine before finally we pull apart. "I don't want you to be scared of me" he confesses softly. My eyes narrow as I reach out to caress his cheek.

"Baby I could never be scared of you. I care about you. I trust you more than I've trusted anyone in a long time."

The trace of a smile finds its way back onto his lips as he takes in my response. "Okay" he finally responds. "We should probably get inside."

"Okay" I smile softly. "After you cowboy."

~ 💟 ~

"I'll be right back" I whisper to Lucas while we're congregating after the sermon is over. He smiles and kisses my cheek before letting me go on my way to find the bathroom.

I take a left turn and find Billy leaning against a windowsill with a cigarette between his lips. I try to turn back without alerting him of my presence but the church is old and the floorboards are creaky. His head flicks around and his eyes lock on mine. A mischievous grin spreads across his lips before he takes a long drag from his cigarette.

"Riley" he breathes out. My name sounds gross on his lips. I definitely doesn't have the same melodic ring to it as it does when Lucas says it.

"Sorry. I was looking for the bathroom" I admit. He smirks, pointing down the hall.

"You're on the right track. Two doors down babe."

My blood boils but I try to keep my cool. The last thing I wanted was to provoke him. "Thanks" I murmur as I attempt to brush past him but he blocks my way.

"Maybe we could go there together. I hear Lucas isn't exactly the most exciting boyfriend. Let me show you a good time" he offers as he steps towards me. I take a reflexive step back and shake my head adamantly.

"Just because his ex thought sex was more important than love doesn't mean I do" I spit angrily. "Stay away from me." I turn on my heels to leave but I immediately run right into Lucas.

His eyes dart from my panicked face to Billy before coming back to land on me. "You okay?" he asks, smoothing over my hair. I nod and he cuts his glare to Billy. "I told you to stay away from her. You proposition her again and you won't like the outcome" he promises him.

I had to admit, while Lucas thought I would be scared by his violence I was anything but. It was actually kinda hot to see him get defensive of me.

"You're just worried that eventually she'll give in" Billy smirks. Lucas laughs, shaking his head while yanking my arm gently.

"Trust me. That is the last thing I'm worried about" he snips before pulling me down the hall.

~ 💟 ~

"I guess church wasn't such a good idea" I chuckle while Lucas and I sit on the hood of his truck at the point.

"Billy is a jerk and he really does need to keep his distance. I'm not a violent person but I'll kick his ass or worse if he touches you again" he says sternly. A smile pulls at my lips as I twist my body so I can bring my lips down over his.

He kisses me back tenderly while his hand reaches up to caress my cheek. His tongue swipes into my mouth causing a low moan to reverberate from the back of my throat while my hand snakes behind his neck to pull him even closer.

His hand comes out to the side to steady us against the hood of the car while the other hand is busy cupping my cheek while his tongue dances with mine inside my mouth. "I love you" he murmurs against my lips.

"I know" I groan. "I care about you so damn much baby" I moan as his lips leave mine and begin trailing down my neck. "Gosh Lucas" I whimper, clamping down on my lower lip while his lips suck on my skin.

I fall back flat against the hood of the car and Lucas' hand moves from the hood to my waist while his other hand slides beneath my head for comfort. He slips his hand under my shirt and my heart rate doubles in speed as I push back on his chest. "Woah" I breathe out. "Slow down cowboy" I chuckle, reaching out to run my fingers over the light stubble on his cheek.

"Sorry" he apologizes breathlessly.

"It's okay" I laugh, "it's just" I let out a deep breath laced with sexual frustration. "Getting riled up like this all the time is gonna make it really hard to wait until marriage."

"Well" he ducks down, kissing the spot below my ear gingerly. "Maybe it's not the piece of paper that matters but the person you sign it with."

"What are you saying?" I ask softly as he moves his head so our eyes are locked back together.

"I'm saying I know you're my soulmate" he smiles softly. "And I want you to be my first, my last, and everytime in between" he adds sweetly, nudging his nose against mine.

A blush rises on my cheeks and a light smile pulls at my lips. "And I want you to be mine" I admit.

"Good" he replies in contentment. "I love you princess."

"I know" I sigh, resting my forehead against his. "I'm sorry I just can't say it back yet" I add softly.

"Take your time baby. We have forever."