23. Splits

"Are you sure you have to go?" I ask Josh, leaning against the doorframe of the guest bedroom.

"I don't want to go anymore than you want me to" he replies, looking up from the suitcase he's packing. "But I'll be back soon enough kiddo."

"You should really stop referring to me as kiddo if you're going to date my best friend who happens to be the same age as me."

"Who said I was going to date Maya?" he asks. I quirk an eyebrow at him, crossing my arms over my chest.

"I'm sorry. If this is an admission that you were just fooling around with her while you were in town then I'm going to have to kick your ass."

He laughs, putting his hands up in surrender. "I like her Riles. I like her a lot. I just don't know if she's willing to do long distance."

"Well you could ask her."

"And you could tell Cor that you're getting felt up by the help but those are crazy things that no sane person would do" he argues.

I scrunch my nose, shaking my head. "Don't word it like that. Lucas and I aren't fooling around. I love him."

Josh smiles. "I'm happy for you Riles. You really do deserve some happiness after what happened."

"Thanks Josh" I reply happily as my phone vibrates on my back pocket.

PEACHES 🍑: I'm here. What's up?

"Who is that?" Josh asks.

"Wouldn't you like to know" I smirk, pocketing my phone. "You need some help carrying these bags out?"

"You're offering to help?"

I laugh, nodding my head. "Well Lucas didn't come into work today so who else if going to help you?"

"Point taken" he concedes. "You can take my carry-on" he insists. I grab the bag, picking it up and following him outside.

We walk out onto the porch and I spot Maya's car parked in front of the house and a mischievous smile pulls at my lips as she climbs out of her car. "Leaving without saying goodbye?" she teases.

"Riley" Josh groans as he turns to face me.

"I'll leave you both alone" I smirk, dropping his bag and skipping towards the barn. I climb up into the loft and take a seat, pulling out my phone and dialing Farkle's number.

"Why are you never in school?" he laughs.

"I do go to school" I argue. "My Thanksgiving break is just ridiculously long here."

It was true, my break stretched from Wednesday to Wednesday here while my break back in New York never lasted past Monday.

"Why?"

"I don't know" I shrug. "I guess more people travel here. How is school? What are you skipping?"

"I'm just in study hall and it's fine" he replies nonchalantly. "How was Thanksgiving? I got a little busy and didn't have time to call."

"No, no it's fine" I assure him. "My Thanksgiving was uh interesting to say the least" I chuckle.

"Oh yea?"

"Mhm" I hum. "It was certainly something."

"Everything okay?" he asks worriedly.

"Um-."

"Riley!" Maya squeals as she climbs up into the loft rapidly. "Riley! RILEY!!"

"Uh hey Farkle I gotta go."