48. Healed

I wake up at the crack of dawn on graduation day as the smell of breakfast wafts into my room from downstairs and a smile tugs at my lips. When I moved to Texas just a few months ago I never thought that my family would ever be put together enough to celebrate such a joyous occasion without the dark cloud of grief hanging around us but somehow, waking up today I didn't feel sad. Instead, I feel as if my little brother is right here with me celebrating right alongside all of us and that's what propels me out of bed and down the stairs towards where my family is gathered around the breakfast table. Josh has a huge stack of pancakes on his plate while my parents both have a much more sensible serving with two pancakes each and a small portion of bacon and eggs. 

I smile, grabbing a plate from the cupboard and piling it high with food as I slide onto the seat beside my uncle. "Morning" I greet them and they all beam back at me soundlessly. I laugh uncomfortably. "Stop looking at me like that. I'm just graduating high school it isn't a big deal" I insist but my dad adamantly shakes his head in disagreement. 

"Graduating high school is a huge accomplishment honey. And especially considering everything that's happened since the accident. We're proud of you, let us fawn over you for one day."

I think it over and I finally nod my head in concession. I suppose it wouldn't be too bad to have the attention on me for one day. Tomorrow I could go back to just being a simple city turned country girl. 

We continue to eat, discussing the plans for today until the doorbell ringing pulls our attention away from one another and a giddy grin splits across my lips. There were only two people that were meeting us at home before we left for the school and I was beyond excited to see both of them. 

I fly out of my seat and pull open the front door, coming face to face with my best friend and an excited yelp flies past her lips as she throws her arms around me. "We did it" she squeals. "We actually finished high school."

I laugh, pulling away from her. She was already dressed in her cap and gown, clearly a bit more excited about today than I was. "Hey Maya" Josh says, appearing behind us and her smile grows even wider when she sees him. It was unbelievable that somehow my move had become the best thing to happen to both me and my uncle. It had led both of us to our soulmates. 

"Kids you all need to finish eating if we're going to make it to the school on time" my mom shouts from the kitchen. Maya walks towards Josh, giving him a quick kiss hello before the two of them walk back towards the kitchen but I don't move. Instead, I stare at the door with furrowed eyebrows. Lucas would certainly be here by now. 

"I'll be right back" I shout back into the room before throwing the door open and starting my trek towards the barn. I push open the doors and immediately I find my boyfriend leaning against the stall door, brushing my horse. "What are you doing in here?" I ask him, stepping further into the barn. 

"Saying good morning to the horses" he replies, smiling at me. "How did you know I was in here?"

"Because I know you better than I know myself" I reply honestly, stopping in front of him. "You know, there's food in the house."

"Is there? Perhaps I should join you then" he says, taking my hand and pulling me towards him. He leans down for a quick kiss and I'm smiling brightly when we pull apart. "Are you excited for today?"

"Hm, a little. I'm excited to be done with high school but it's a lot of attention and I've had enough attention to last me a lifetime."

"I get that" he agrees. "But today is going to be happy. Nothing wrong with a little attention on a joyous occasion" he argues lightly. He wasn't wrong but still, I would feel much better when everything was said and done. "Come on" he insists, changing the subject. "Let's go eat."